Voter fraud uncovered in Bird of the Year poll

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/17/voter-fraud-uncovered-in-bird-of-the-year-poll.html

1 Like

Count every legal bird! Don’t count any illegal birds!

NO ILL EAGLES!!

24 Likes

OK, I’m already sorry about this.

20 Likes

No point having a rail about it, railing never helped, but we can chat about it. Still, at least we don’t have to swallow the false result. Thankfully there was a swift resolution, and I think the organisers can crow about their work, without which we might have had a cuckoo in the nest. 1500 false votes, eh? Probably some old coot who took up birdwatching as a hobby.

17 Likes

Many of these birds are so nice, they named them twice.

7 Likes

It wasn’t me! I didn’t do it! Nobody saw me & you can’t prove it anyway!

3 Likes

I love how their Plain English signifiers of endangered status just make it look like some of the individual birds imaged have a stern talking to in their near future, while others are in for a lengthy grounding and long time out to think about what they’ve done:

9 Likes

Don’t be such a booby

7 Likes

And yet another missed opportunity to implement RFC 1149

1 Like

I suppose I was being a bit of a tit. Sorry.

4 Likes

Let’s not have a repeat of that time the Moa was voted off the island.

6 Likes

Cuckoo: I WON THE ELECTION!!!

5 Likes

Still, they are all good birds.

Was not aware that there are any bad birds.

Well, maybe pigeons.

2 Likes

I really like the idea that there are birds known as “moss chickens.” It also sounds like an epithet:

“I’m tired of all these moss chickens cackling and pooping on every new idea we propose!”

3 Likes

The Kakapo is a large, flightless, ground-dwelling parrot which is not a combination you see often.
Now that it has won twice, people are calling it the Glamour Chicken but as we all know, the Piwakawaka was robbed.

2 Likes

Australia has the bin chicken

5 Likes

Readers may remember the Kakapo from it’s famous BBC appearance:

2 Likes

Of course the Kakapo must be NZ Bird of the Year. Endearing little buggers.
Across the pond in Australia Big Bird wins (though the Cassowary is better looking).

2 Likes

Speaking of across the pond…the Willy Wagtail trumps the Piwakawaka in my pukapuka (book). It reminds me of the drunken master.

And that male Splendid Fairywren in springtime sure puts the common Sparrow to shame!
I do miss the wonderful birds of OZ.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.