Voting machine companies: the names of our parent companies are trade secrets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/10/grifty-af.html

5 Likes

tenor

24 Likes

Hmmmmmm

20 Likes

10 Likes

With the extensive dark money network set up by the Kochs and their .01% buddies, it would not surprise me if these voting machine companies are not wholly owned by today’s libertarian overlords. I suggest a cooperative formed by member states to produce a voting machine.

I suspect solid red states would not participate because the last thing Republicans want is an election they can’t hack (even if it is outsourced to the Russians) but it’s a start. That does nothing, of course, about Republican’s favorite voter suppression techniques of gerrymandering, purging, caging, voter intimidation or long lines. Someday, maybe, voters will realize that the only thing Republicans are deathly afraid of is the vote and maybe they’ll vote them out. Or maybe they already did.

8 Likes

(mark-sense) paper ballots and (relatively dumb “air gapped”) counting machines; anything more elaborate is an invitation to in-house or out-house hacking and fraud. (“whadyamean this is a fraudulent vote!? look, i’ll tap the app and it gives me the same count again - recount!”)

I’ll even admit my bias and assert that fancy electronic voting machines are most prevalent in red states, where democracy is quietly frowned upon.

12 Likes

I’m sure they’re all owned by Putin if you peel the onion back far enough.

4 Likes

You would imagine that this would be something that should be developed by the US government, not by a company that has economic interests and no incentive to do things correctly.

12 Likes

And also

15 Likes

This is so obviously a direct assault on representative democracy I’m sure our elected leaders will spring into action. I’ll even hold my breath while I wait for Congress to act.

… … … … …
… … … …
… … …
… …
… .
. .

8 Likes

I think the Koch brothers and The Murdoch Media Empire and the likes are more probable, and just as (or maybe even more) evil.

3 Likes

Fascism is as Fascism does, I suppose, the world over.

8 Likes

God, it’s like the 2000 Presidential election meets the Panama Papers.

6 Likes

I hope ProPublica has someone digging through this right now.

1 Like

US has never been big on “fair elections” or “good gov’t” or “we, the people”. Why expect a change now? USA gov’ts at all levels have centuries-old reputations for corruption and rigging, the best money can buy. And US pols are cheap to bribe. That’s the system here.

We mark our mailed paper ballots with pencils and drop them at the county clerk’s office around election day. Then we hope.

If they claim they can’t say who their parents are: disincorporate them. Corporations only exist at the pleasure of state governments.

5 Likes

except for the ( deliberately manufactured ) trope that government can’t do anything right

[ edit: that’s probably a core reason to stop single payer healthcare. if the government can do healthcare better, people might start to wonder what else government can do. ]

2 Likes

“I’m afraid we’re going to have to discorporate you.”
“Don’t you mean ‘disincorporate’?”
“No. Now would you kindly step into the blast furnace over here…?”

1 Like

Remember Black Box Voting? This has been going on for a long time. And, funnily enough, the companies that own the voting machines have almost all been owned by hardcore Republicans including ones actively involved in campaigns. Our voting system is as corrupt as anything in Soviet Russia or modern Zimbabwe.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.