Voyager 2 has entered interstellar space!

It’s almost hard to comprehend this.

1 Like

5 Likes

thats all well and good until they come back inside a huge alien probe looking for whales or creator Kirk or something…

4 Likes

JPL knows how to build stuff.

6 Likes

It’s very cool, but I hope some outer space being doesn’t find it.
Just saying…:space_invader::space_invader::space_invader:

1 Like

if it’s close enough to find it we’re already fucked

my pet theory is we are either alone in the universe, or alone in a quadrant so large we can’t be reached by other intelligent life given speed of light.

but what’s more interesting is if what we call “UFOs” / “aliens” are really just from another dimension

2 Likes

I like

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of
the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded
yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles
is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-
descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still
think digital watches are a pretty neat idea"

Credit to Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

8 Likes

mostly harmless

4 Likes

Good luck. Watch out for Klingons…

4 Likes

The start of the movie Contact (not to scale)

3 Likes

Came here to make sure this was posted :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Perfect Barclay gif response.

2 Likes

V-ger 2 needs the information, too.

1 Like

Barclay was pretty great… an example of an actual imperfect federation citizen, so we can know they actual existed!

Also, Luxanna Troi and Barclay flirting in LARP Trek was sort of my favorite part… I’m sad he stopped writing this comic, cause it really tickled my funny bone:

#196 – It’s been ten minutes, Lwaxana needs to change clothes

1 Like

Speaking of space… check out this live stream of Russians space walking outside of the ISS:

2 Likes

Dunno. That’s why I’m asking! :slight_smile:

Seriously though, doesn’t our sun’s gravity have an effect on the cloud–keeping it together and such?

1 Like

That must be the case with pretty much every topic / every XKCD, amirite? :slight_smile: (I’m new to posting)

1 Like

Or this:

"The Total Perspective Vortex is the most savage psychic torture a sentient being can undergo.

When you are put into the Vortex you are given just one momentary glimpse of the entire unimaginable infinity of creation, and somewhere in it a tiny little marker, a microscopic dot on a microscopic dot, which says " You are here "

The Total Perspective Vortex derives its picture of the whole Universe on the principle of extrapolated matter analyses. Since every piece of matter in the Universe is in some way affected by every other piece of matter in the Universe, it is in theory possible to extrapolate the whole of creation – every sun, every planet, their orbits, their composition and their economic and social history from, say, one small piece of fairy cake.

The man who invented the Total Perspective Vortex did so basically in order to annoy his wife.

Trin Tragula – for that was his name – was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. She would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.

“Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.

And so he built the Total Perspective Vortex, just to show her.

Into one end he plugged the whole of reality as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake, and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.

To Trin Tragula’s horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot have is a sense of proportion."

Zaphod’s reaction after being put in the vortex:

" Scene 8. Int. Frogstar

[The Vortex door opens]

ZAPHOD:
Hi.

GARGRAVARR:
Beeblebrox! You’re…!

ZAPHOD:
Fine, fine. Could I have a drink please?

GARGRAVARR:
You’ve been in the Vortex?!

ZAPHOD:
You saw me kid.

GARGRAVARR:
And you saw the whole infinity of creation?!

ZAPHOD:
The lot baby - it’s a real neat place you know, heh-heh.

GARGRAVARR:
And you saw yourself in relation to it all?!

ZAPHOD:
Yah, yeah, yeah.

GARGRAVARR:
And what did you experience?!

ZAPHOD:
It just told me what I knew all the time: I’m a really great guy! Didn’t I tell ya baby, I am Zaphod Beeblebrox!!

Scene 9. Int. Frogstar

ZAPHOD:
Hey man, is that a piece of fairy cake? My stomach’s just completely out to lunch. Mmmm. Yeah. Mmm…"

:wink:

5 Likes

Do we think that the demon sultan Azathoth will consider the golden record to be an interesting change from the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes?

2 Likes

Trump driving an orange pickup.

1 Like