Poster has every exploratory endeavor into space from 1959-2015

[Read the post]

1 Like

Woah. I’ve seen so many compilation posters that try to sum up all the science fiction fandoms, and they naturally omit one or more that somebody thinks is important.

My devotion to SF mythology is cooling these days, it feels like we’ve had too much dessert, not enough dinner. This image feels more significant somehow, because it’s pointing to stories that have actually happened!

4 Likes

From a a quick look at the poster I discover that we (earthlings) have only done ticklishly tentative flybys around Uranus. When will we (earthlings) ever get it together to actually probe Uranus?

4 Likes

I don’t see the trajectories out of the solar system for Voyager 1 and Voyager 2.

1 Like

It’s humor like that which places this planet last on NASAs list. You’ve seen how 19th century they are about sex in orbit!

3 Likes

That’s because their budget tends to be controlled line item by line item by southern Congressmen who tend to be firmly anti-science to begin with.

2 Likes

Let alone Voyager 6, but that gets complicated once it enters the black hole and returns to Earth after a few upgrades on the machine planet.

4 Likes

Also the 900-kilogram steel plate cap for the test shaft of the Pascal-B nuclear test.

Dr. Brownlee had estimated that the nuclear explosion, combined with the specific design of the shaft, would accelerate the plate to approximately six times escape velocity.

Granted…

The plate was never found, but Dr. Brownlee believes that the plate never left the atmosphere, as it may even have been vaporized by compression heating of the atmosphere due to its high speed.

But we now know much more about meteorites, including that the heat of re-entry will still have them arriving at the ground with a cold interior.

3 Likes

I want a laptop that looks like that. Might be a little tricky getting the keycaps to show both the art and the letters, and I guess the upper half would have to be a desktop background, (maybe an icon theme?)

We recently visited the Soviet space program exhibition at The Science Museum in London. There were a pair of intact Vostok reentry vehicles on display. The ablative coating was made out of wood. No snazzy ceramics for the Russians. And it hadn’t lost a huge amount of its surface either, just a bit of charring. :astonished:

If you’re visiting The Science Museum (for free), it’s worth the entry fee to the Cosmonauts exhibition. Today is your last chance. There’s an intact LK there too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.