Vulgar generates fantasy languages with a click

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/20/vulgar-generates-fantasy-langu.html

3 Likes

Looks useful, I think.

4 Likes

My language is called “Frtuatyhfaemnhae”.

4 Likes

Never heard of it…

4 Likes

Three to five servings per day?

3 Likes

If a thing is worth doing, it’s worth overdoing to an absurd extent and then trying to get the internet to pony up twenty bucks, except nine other guys offer the same thing free, no matter what it is.

7 Likes

FLÜGGÅӘNKб€ČHIŒßØLĮÊN?

2 Likes

Angahewa ni ganda la gesi za hewa zinazozingira dunia yetu zikishikwa na nguvu mvutano yake. Angahewa inakinga uhai duniani kwa kupunguza mnururisho wa urujianimno wa jua, kutunza halijota duniani kwa kuakisisha mawimbi infraredi, kupunguza tofauti kati ya baridi na joto na kuwapa wanyama na mimea viwango vya oksijeni na nitrojeni wanayohitaji.

3 Likes

This is pretty darn rad, and I love the nerdy depth it goes to. I loved my linguistics classes that I took as part of my Ed masters. Learning the symbols and mouth diagrams added an entire new schema of understanding to the world for me, with the attendant potential for analogies and metaphor that that kind of thing bestows. I imagine this will be the entry point to formal linguistics for a lot of people out there who wouldn’t have thought to explore it otherwise.

4 Likes

That is some damn fine language geekery, there. For $20, very tempted; looks like it’d be a very good tool for world-building for stories and/or rpgs.

2 Likes

Really cool, especially if you have a Google Translate Chrome extension so you can try and let Google pronounce those words.

1 Like

4 Likes

It seems to generate some pretty incoherent strings. How is “tts” a word? A syllable with no sonorant segment? I don’t know. I’d rather fuss over my own fake language stuff (which I’ve enjoyed since I was 16 or so).

1 Like

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

3 Likes

Onomatopoeic*. The sound of a closed hi-hat when hit twice quickly by a talented drummer.

As in “Hey, Davo, show us your tts!”

*Thank you spell check.

2 Likes

dyezi /ˈdʑeʐi/ nm. magic
dyodn /dʑodn/ v. happen
dyude /ˈdʑude/ adv. that
eba /ˈeba/ v. turn
eexs /ˈeexs/ nf. north
eigra /eˈigʁa/ adj. foreign
epu /ˈepɨ/ [ˈewɨ] nf. cousin
esoas /eˈsoas/ v. stick
etsiñi /etsiˈɲi/ nf. effort
ey /ej/ nm. shell
frebdutpuximz /ˈfʁebdɨtpɨximz/ adj. possible
fui /fɨˈi/ nf. answer
futse /ˈfutse/ nm. office
fyey /fjej/ nm. stump
gaodi /gaˈodi/ nf. spelling
ge /ge/ nm. police

Apparently, a world where few things are possible because the cops always show up at exactly the wrong time.

there isn’t much information on the vulgar website. do the languages it produce satisfy the formal syntactic and semantic properties of a language? or is it producing some pseudo language by mimicking much of a (natural) language?

that will never be old.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.