Vulnerabilities in GPS fleet-tracking tools let attackers track and immobilize cars en masse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/protrack-and-itrack.html

1 Like

How long will it be before they can turn off humans? Asking for a friend…

tumblr_pqhk24UlMT1v9fn1io1_400

8 Likes

Protrack can deny the breach all day long, but that’s meaningless as nobody’s accusing the company of being breached; at least nobody competent is raising those accusations. These types of attacks are called Account Take Overs (ATOs), not breaches.

(The semantic difference is of course lost on the clients whose vehicles and data are being compromised.)

ATOs happen constantly, across all industries. Companies certainly can take steps to reduce them, but they can be hard to stamp out entirely. One good approach is called Risk-Based Authentication, which adds additional challenges to login attempts that are deemed “risky”.

5 Likes

I’m turning off a friend right now.

(Sorry)

3 Likes

Having thieves trying to stay about the cut off speed while robbing a stolen vehicle could make for a fun “Speed” style movie.

4 Likes

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It’s the only way to live
In cars

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.