Vulnerabilities

2 Likes

Don’t you hate when you leave the keys in the ignition?

2 Likes

IIRC that was a while back. Or, they’ve had another one?

2 Likes

Time’s up! That’s all they wrote. Once that final patch comes out the pipe, zero-day exploits will be forever-day exploits. I’ve already moved the links for python and pip to 3. Next, I’ll see if anything I need still uses 2, and purge it anyway. (One less set of libraries to update!)

eta: Mopidy was using 2.7, but they very recently changed to 3. Updated that. Some of the plug-ins haven’t been updated yet.

2 Likes

Snakes on a wane: Python 2 development is finally frozen in time, version 3 slithers on

The Register - come for the info, stay for the headlines.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic:

2 Likes

Make sure your Firefox is up to date: 72.0.1.

6 Likes

Why is a 22GB database containing 56 million US folks’ personal details sitting on the open internet using a Chinese IP address? Seriously, why?

3 Likes

Malware finally does what it’s always been blamed for.

3 Likes

Ha, that sounds like the kind of malware people would download deliberately after posting something unforgivably offensive gets them in trouble.

“See, it was the malware!!! I told you!!!”

1 Like

Or autocorrect, for that matter.

6 Likes

‘Friendly’ hackers are seemingly fixing the Citrix server hole – and leaving a nasty present behind

1 Like
2 Likes

LCD pwn System: How to modulate screen brightness to covertly transmit data from an air-gapped computer… slowly

Forgotten motherboard driver turns out to be perfect for slipping Windows ransomware past antivirus checks

4 Likes

We’ll let you know if Digicert, which now owns the outfit that signed the driver for Gigabyte, has any comment or has revoked the software’s digital certificate to prevent it from running.

Certainly worth checking back with this one later. … nice find.

1 Like

Shipping is so insecure we could have driven off in an oil rig, says Pen Test Partners

When the air gap is the space between the ears: A natural gas plant let ransomware spread from office IT to ops

I am so stealing the first bit of that headline for future use.

4 Likes

Ruh Roh!

According to ESET, Kr00k affects all WiFi-capable devices running on Broadcom and Cypress Wi-Fi chips. These are two of the world’s most popular WiFi chipsets, and they are included in almost everything, from laptops to smartphones, and from access points to smart speakers and other IoT devices.

ESET researchers said they personally tested and confirmed that Kr00k impacts devices from Amazon (Echo, Kindle), Apple (iPhone, iPad, MacBook), Google (Nexus), Samsung (Galaxy), Raspberry (Pi 3) and Xiaomi (Redmi), but also access points from Asus and Huawei.

In a press release today, ESET said it believes that more than a billion devices are vulnerable to Kr00k, and they consider this number “a conservative estimate.”

6 Likes