Vulnerabilities

And there it is:

California’s street-legal ink license plates only received a nod from the US government in October, but reverse engineers have already discovered vulnerabilities in the system allowing them to track each plate, reprogram them or even delete them at a whim.

[…]

5 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

You are what you eat. And transphobia is on the media menu every day.

8 Likes

A team of Israeli contractors who claim to have manipulated more than 30 elections around the world using hacking, sabotage and automated disinformation on social media has been exposed in a new investigation.

The have a bit of code they call Advanced Impact Media Solutions that controls 30,000 fake social media and email accounts.

it controlled a multinational army of more than 30,000 avatars, complete with digital backstories that stretch back years.

Edit: Haaretz Stories in “World Politics” and original source, “Forbidden Stories” under Coronavirus Happenings.

5 Likes

Isn’t this why countries have wet works teams?

2 Likes

I think there’s a lot to consider there; not sure the whole Hand of God operation worked out entirely favourably for :israel:.

I’ve suggested to my MP that if a social media site meets the test of having its logo over something, advertising something beside content (i.e. earning money from it), or recommending content, then it should be held to print standards for that material. (I know that would make the BBS’s life harder too.) We have hate speech laws in :canada: that a lot of content would trigger.

If we add to that, allowing foreign influence in domestic politics then this sort of thing would at least get harder for said foreign actors as domestic liability grew for the platforms.

2 Likes

All right- just kneecap them. /s

1 Like
1 Like
5 Likes

That’s cheeky: Start a botnet infecting computers, rent the home computers as “residential proxies”.

3 Likes

I have interviewed there and passed because they offer about 2/3 the going rate for IT Auditors/IT Compliance people.

Who could have predicted…

From Bleeping Computer:
A source in touch with a Dish Network employee told BleepingComputer that the network “has been hit” (by a cyber attack) with employees seeing “blank icons” on their Desktop—something that typically occurs after a ransomware infection encrypts the victim’s files.

Hours after publication of this piece, another Dish Network employee contacted us stating that Dish has indeed been “cyber attacked.”

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

BlackLotus, a UEFI bootkit that’s sold on hacking forums for about $5,000, can now bypass Secure Boot, making it the first known malware to run on Windows systems even with the firmware security feature enabled.

[…]

5 Likes

6 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes