Vulnerabilities

Even without the bugs, a security device that sends everything to the mothership is someone else’s surveillance device.

8 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Goodbye to Mr Fusion, my 10-year-old D-Link router with not a single firmware update.

Vulnerable as heck. I don’t think anyone got in, but I think it was so old that all they could do was reset it several times a day. Very annoying.

I replaced it with a TP-Link router, reflashed with OpenWRT. That’s not a project for everyone. OpenWRT is quite flexible, and there’s no simple install and go setup. (There are projects on top of OpenWRT to make it easier, but they come and go, and don’t support as wide a range of routers.)

It is worth reviewing how old the software in your router is. Sadly, some manufacturers treat home routers as abandonware, and never provide updates even after major exploits surface.

6 Likes

I’ve had good success with a little PC Engines box running OpenBSD, hooked up to a UPS. They come with 3 or 4 network ports now, which lets me keep business separate from home separate from random crap that wants to connect.

Yeah… not exactly “turn it on and go” but I’ve found it worth the effort.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I always seem to hit some variant of the “blank stare of incomprehension” (usually because comprehension means agreeing their policy is ludicrous and losing their job) when I point out that when both factors are your phone, it is not two factor identification.

4 Likes

Damn. It was smart enough to pick a completely unsympathetic subject.

4 Likes
4 Likes
13 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

God dammit! This is amateur hour shit…

6 Likes
1 Like

I was noticing issues with ME as far back as 3 months ago. Here’s a solution to removing it manually by editing the registry. I’ve done it and no more Edge. REMEMBER TO DO THE ADDITIONAL EDIT TO KEEP IT FROM RISING FROM THE DEAD.

1 Like
2 Likes

It turned out that the Russian “snake” malware was vulnerable to the FBI walking backwards with a sword and mirror shield.

4 Likes