Waaaah! I've got my daily limit on likes! [post your own]

Wait, is that the right kind of Supernatural Like gif?

6 Likes

The BBS is just driving trollies me now…

17 Likes

I tried to like this but I have to wait 46 minutes…

10 Likes

I’m sure I’ll see one of these messages at some time.

11 Likes

9 Likes

Okay. Can you all slow down on posting things that I may agree with, might find interesting, or in any other way could have an affinity for?

(Thanks in advance for your cooperation.)

5 Likes

I have leftover likes that I am not using. Please let me know if I can assist you in your time of need, with a low-interest Like loan!

9 Likes

Does the BBS encroach on your home life?

3 Likes

Exactly. What I end up doing is leaving the forum and not coming back for hours (or until the next day) because reading with only the choices of staying silent or actually responding to each post I feel an affinity for (as opposed to having a question, or information worth imparting) is too binary for me.

Are they trying to get us to leave their fair forum? Or just get a life?

2 Likes

Yes, and sometimes I hesitate to respond with a question if I can’t first “like” the post I’m questioning.

There’s a risk of misunderstanding … that my question is partly from indifference or dislike of the post.

The poster might not realize I was “out of likes” (???) before I responded.

3 Likes

I’d like to like your post, and @chgoliz’s as well, but I’m out of likes for a few hours.

3 Likes

I feel your pain, acutely!

1 Like

Totally. Do they want spirited discourse, or don’t they? Who’s it going to hurt if the dozen of us who have this issue get an extra reserve of likes? We’ve EARNED it!

1 Like

I’ve sometimes copied and pasted the bbs notice that I’m out of likes for X hours to let the person know I liked her or his post. When I have better gif-fu, maybe I’ll try using those.

2 Likes

gah. at least i only have a 7 minute wait…

I had a 3 hour wait earlier, just got on, was allowed a single like, and now have a 6 hour wait.

@codinghorror: I know the Discourse code is on Github. Can you point me to the particular method / module / object where the like limit calculation is done? I’m not getting an intuitive enough feel for the damn thing, and maybe looking at the algorithm would help.

4 Likes

Don’t really have time for that, sorry – some Google searches might be your friend, it’s all open source. But a few reminders:

• max likes per day is set to 100 here

• multipliers per trust level

• 1 – default number of likes
    • 2 – likes × 1.5
    • 3 – likes × 2

TL3 is “regular”.

TL4 has a lot of abilities and can only be reached through manual promotion at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m even questioning how a “day” is calculated at this point. (hard cutoff time, floating 24 hour average, etc.) Thanks for the quick response, and I understand you’ve got more pressing issues. The calculation just seems a bit “funky” to me at this point.

1 Like

UTC, that’s pretty typical for servers.

Basically if you live in London, England this is your “day”. I guess the sun never sets on the british silicon empire, muthaf**kaaaaaaaaaas

1 Like