Wacom tablet drivers track apps you open

This x1,000,000.

I got sick of MS bullshit decades ago. The only grief they still bring me is that I have to use it for serious CAD/CAM software…but had my laptop not just blown up a couple days ago, I could have used FreeCAD to do that.

For any other linux people- check out Crossover. Its like Wine- but supposedly works for any windows software with FULL hardware acceleration in linux.

Fixed that for you

This is not a joke to me.7c6ec249d57e8f0b28c773fa2a7f5963

That’s a printing press, a more elegant beast. Unlike our current horrid printers

1 Like

You have? Good. Maybe you can tell me something: why are there so few Linux advocates interested in listening to other users?

I’ll sure take the note about getting out more, though.

Why, last time I was out we just had a dandy time trying to install Linux on a fellow’s desktop HP. Not only is it slow, it did bizarre things with audio because whoever crafted the installer felt that a laptop was going to be the default, and fixing it involved changing obscure settings in the command line.

See, I can do that, but the client absolutely could not.

If Microsoft or Apple made a mistake that fundamental (and I have receipts), we’d (rightly) never hear the end of it.

And if they don’t? Never mind don’t want to, what if they legitimately can’t? Someone talked about Crossover/wine, but in my experience, those things come with their own compromises and flaws, not to mention frustrations. This is why you need to think beyond “most” or “extremely little”: the number of users who qualify in those categories is likely much larger than you think.

This is a problem for Linux advocacy—it means advocates are not paying attention to details which, in spite of your dismissal, do actually matter to a significant number of users, and tend to make using Linux frustrating.

And since we’re in a thread about a piece of hardware which is used by and affects a lot of artists, as an artist I frequently find Linux wanting outside of very specific roles which have little to do with art. If you are an artist who uses Linux, more power to you, but I don’t live under those constraints and I’m hardly alone in this.

But I’m sure it’ll get better.

Until it does, maybe you don’t get to say it’s good enough when it isn’t.

You have? Good. Maybe you can tell me something: why are there so few Linux advocates interested in listening to other users?

Over-generalize much? I’ve found the linux community more receptive to user ideas than any other technical community. Good luck getting Microsoft advocates to listen, much less able to do something about any needs or concerns you might have. Apple is even worse…there’s a reason it’s called ‘The Cult of Mac’. Are all MS and Apple advocates bad? Of course not, and neither are linux advocates. But I have found that linux experts are far more likely to be able to grasp the bigger picture, being more likely to have worked ‘both sides of the fence’.

Why, last time I was out we just had a dandy time trying to install Linux on a fellow’s desktop HP. Not only is it slow, it did bizarre things with audio because whoever crafted the installer felt that a laptop was going to be the default, and fixing it involved changing obscure settings in the command line.

Linux is not a monolithic product by a mega-corp. It isn’t even one thing. It’s literally hundreds of different distros. I’d say you didn’t pick the proper one for your needs. But we were talking about linux being of value to “many professions”, not how easy it is for an individual to pick a solution that works for them. Having to choose a distro certainly is something an individual with no experience might struggle with, but ‘too much choice’ is hardly a worse alternative than ‘no choice whatsoever’. None of this supports your argument.

See, I can do that, but the client absolutely could not.

…very funny. So…Nobody ever ran into an issue installing Windows. Nobody ever found that their hardware was missing a driver that required a search of tons of shady websites. Windows has never steadfastly refused to recognize hardware properly, or blue screened during the install. …These things have never happened.

If Microsoft or Apple made a mistake that fundamental (and I have receipts), we’d (rightly) never hear the end of it.

Yeah, Windows and Apple never make fundamentally huge screw-ups. Pull the other one. MS Windows installs have literally eaten peoples data. I’d call that worse, especially for a multi-billion dollar company.

And if they don’t? Never mind don’t want to, what if they legitimately can’t? Someone talked about Crossover/wine, but in my experience, those things come with their own compromises and flaws, not to mention frustrations. This is why you need to think beyond “most” or “extremely little”: the number of users who qualify in those categories is likely much larger than you think.

In the context we were talking about: being useful to businesses/professionals, if they really and truly can’t learn to use linux, then they wouldn’t be able to cope with much on Windows either. I’d seriously question their value as an employee. Linux isn’t hard to use. For less technical users (Windows or Linux) in a professional setting, that’s what the IT department is for. In an individual professional setting, you choose the level of technical detail and risk you are willing to take. Many self-employed professionals running Windows or Mac have been bitten or even devastated by technical issues they could not themselves fix. Why would this be different for linux? That’s a pretty unfair double standard.

This is a problem for Linux advocacy—it means advocates are not paying attention to details which, in spite of your dismissal, do actually matter to a significant number of users, and tend to make using Linux frustrating.

They are listening, more so than MS and Apple are. No operating system is perfect. People around the world are working on linux based operating systems literally every second of every day to make them better. There will always be things that could be better. Such is life. Again this isn’t contributing to your ‘linux is of small value to many professions’ argument.

And since we’re in a thread about a piece of hardware which is used by and affects a lot of artists, as an artist I frequently find Linux wanting outside of very specific roles which have little to do with art. If you are an artist who uses Linux, more power to you, but I don’t live under those constraints and I’m hardly alone in this.

Funny, my daughter is a self-employed graphical artist. Guess what she uses, exclusively: Linux. She’s not super technical and she chose it without *any *input or help from me. I figured she’d need some help at some point, but it’s never come up in several years. She seems to be doing fine.

But I’m sure it’ll get better.

That is certain. It’s less likely that Windows will change for the better, only change in ways to bring more revenue to MS, which isn’t the same at all.

Until it does, maybe you don’t get to say it’s good enough when it isn’t.

…and definitely you don’t get to say it isn’t, for anyone but yourself.

Off the top of my head, I personally know people using linux professionally in art, astronomy, chemistry, statistics, music, photography, retail, manufacturing, software development, and general office work. Probably more if I rack my brain. Sorry but the ‘of small value’ argument is…well…of small value.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.