Wagner mercenaries "storm" Russian military headquarters in Rostov in Prigozhin "mutiny"

Fatal case of head lice. All the mourners at the funeral will shave their heads in solidarity. And start throwing up from food poisoning at the wake.

3 Likes

In fairness, the contractor did provide agile just-in-time delivery above and beyond expectations.

2 Likes

Ticks and Lyme disease.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why this didn’t puzzle me earlier; but is anyone else very curious about where the air force was, and why?

There were reports of at least one helicopter being shot down; but I don’t think I saw anything about air force ground attack aircraft; and those would be one element of the regular armed forces that would presumably have had no difficulty getting there in time(unlike the bulk of the army) and would have posed a serious threat (unlike the police units).

Deliberately held back because a bunch of domestic air strikes against domestic-ish targets would have been provocative enough to increase the risk of the regular army joining in? Willing to ignore or soft-pedal orders?

4 Likes

The air force struck a fuel depot to keep Wagner from capturing it. There were rumors of fighter jets in the sky over Moscow, too, but I don’t know that any showed up when the Washington Post started streaming the skyline.

There were people who didn’t seem to weigh in, either.

8 Likes

The Russian air force seems pretty incompetent overall, and generally unwilling to do ground attack missions against anyone with more anti-air capacity than Syrian rebels. Wagner units certainly would have lots of Russian SAMs, and know how to use them, which would make attacking them unpalatable to Russian fighter pilots.

7 Likes

Prigozhin posts first message since abandoning Wagner mutiny

Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin has just posted an 11-minute audio message where he says no-one agreed to sign a contract with the defence ministry and that his mercenary firm was bound to cease existence on 1 July.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-66006142

Prigozhin says he didn’t march to topple Russian leadership

Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin has made it clear that he didn’t target Putin when he declared his troops would march on Moscow, saying: “We didn’t march to overthrow Russia’s leadership.”

In his 11-minute video message, he says: “The aim of the march was to avoid destruction of Wagner and to hold to account the officials who through their unprofessional actions have committed a massive number of errors”.

He says Wagner regrets “they had to hit Russian aviation” and they turned around “to avoid spilling blood of Russian soldiers.”

Quote Message: We were on a march to demonstrate our protest, not to topple the government." from Yevgeny Prigozhin Wagner leader
We were on a march to demonstrate our protest, not to topple the government."

Yevgeny Prigozhin
Wagner leader

7 Likes

Here’s Meduza’s translation.

In one paragraph, this propagandist shifts from killing in self-defense to being just so peaceful that only two people who were volunteers died.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.