That rebellious Wagner boss's airplane has fallen out a window

Originally published at: That rebellious Wagner boss's airplane has fallen out a window | Boing Boing

11 Likes

23 Likes

Whoopsie. And so shocking, after Putin told him “we’re good bro.”

31 Likes

I feel a little bad about finding this amusing. But only a little bit. A really little bit.

23 Likes

From the bbc reports:
“ 1. Wagner mercenary group boss Yevgeny Prigozhin was on the list of passengers on an aircraft that crashed in the Tver Region, Russian authorities say”

14 Likes

What an extraordinary and unfortunate co-incidence.

27 Likes

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama

21 Likes

25 Likes

NYT is declaring that the declaration of his death is still premature.

But Readovka, an account on the Telegram app that is known to be close to the Russian authorities, said that reports of Mr. Prigozhin’s death were “premature” and that “Yevgeny Prigozhin may have been on a different airplane.”

14 Likes

This is turning into another Lil Tay situation…

18 Likes

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

18 Likes

It would be more than a bit awkward for Putin. That’s why for once I am inclined to trust Russian authorities.

9 Likes

With the state of their air industry having trouble maintaining equipment, it’s probably a 60/40% split on the chance it was shot down, or mechanical failure.

13 Likes

Obviously this was totally unforeseen and should be regarded as accidental in the same way that polonium sometimes ends up in teapots

32 Likes

Were they, though? These were all Wagner guys. The plane was registered to him, too so the crew would be Wagner as well. In my opinion, their freaking cpa is complicit the atrocities in Ukraine and Africa. These guys were probably flying sorties over Syria a few years ago.

33 Likes

I mean, who doesn’t leave their teapot by a cyclotron. Common mistake.

28 Likes

This would be the first time an ERJ-145/Legacy has had a fatality. They’re notoriously safe planes and come with manufacturer warranties and service prepaid. And yes, the company is still doing the service for those owner / operators in Russia.

23 Likes

Having processed my grief remarkably quickly, I’m left wondering what took so long, what actually happened in that coup(?) attempt, why Prigozhin imagined this could have gone differently etc. And then I’m annoyed at being made to wonder things that can never have a reliable answer.

17 Likes

I have a feeling it will be reported by Russian media as a NATO missile.

7 Likes

Will they report anything? I thought Wagner was dropped out of the news.

8 Likes