Walmart fired a worker with Down syndrome. A judge just ordered it to rehire her

You just said it yourself in that sentence: corporations are not living beings, and therefore “it” is the correct pronoun.

11 Likes

I’m going with They/Them and hoping you’re not taking the piss.

12 Likes

Seeing Walmart refered to “it” makes me wonder what corporations proper pronouns are? Would it be like romance languages where there’s strict masculine or feminine nouns?

Sport Who Cares GIF

10 Likes

I suggest the statutory minimum be set to the pay of the owner + 1 days profits for a business and the pay of the CEO + 7 days profits for a corporation.

I’ll bet that’s a hell of a lot more than 350k.

edit - for walmart in 2020 - a weeks profits would have been over 2 billion dollars.

Just let that sink in for a moment

6 Likes

I won’t believe that “corporations are people” until Texas executes one.

23 Likes

Judge William Griesbach denied the commission’s request that Walmart be ordered to train managers to understand the Americans with Disabilities Act and to inform employees of their legal rights.

I came here to ask someone with more knowledge of legal matters what possible justification there could be for denying this request. To me it seems like the judge is being asked “can we also do something which will benefit everyone and prevent this sort of behavior from happening in the future?” and the judge is just giving a flat “NO.” One gets the feeling the judge very much resents having to rule against Walmart in the first place.

8 Likes

I’ve had the misfortune of both shopping in and at one point working for the local Walmart. I avoid doing the former whenever possible (which thanks to a couple local alternatives and the rise of Amazon is about 100% of the time) and as for the latter… it was truly an act of desperation intended to get me through some rough financial months.

2 Likes

He’s a Republican. The cruelty is the point.

13 Likes

I have a corollary to this based, sadly, on personal experience. If the company is getting bad press and they start having employee rallies and handing out t-shirts.

Sell the stock and get outta there.

2 Likes

By not doing so, and saving the money as a result, they become a mega-corporation.
Care and attention is for the little people.

2 Likes

Singular in the U.S., plural in the U.K. Phrases like “Apple have announced” are a nice Brit shibboleth. The British practice is troublesome, as the purpose of a corporation is to be a singular entity independent of the human beings in it. But I suppose this usage literally predates legal incorporation in any modern sense, so we can cut them slack.

9 Likes

To be fair, our linguistic issues are by far the smallest of our post-Imperial problems :unamused:

10 Likes

“Judge William Griesbach denied the commission’s request that Walmart be ordered to train managers to understand the Americans with Disabilities Act and to inform employees of their legal rights.”

I am at a complete loss to understand why this was not ordered as it seems eminently reasonable and an appropriate remedy within the Court’s powers.

Does anyone have a link to the legal opinion or similar? I’d like to hear the legal arguments against doing this if they were expressed.

Avoidance of a precedent that would, as they see it, cost them more in the long run as it might “open the floodgates of litigation”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.