Walmart fired a worker with Down syndrome. A judge just ordered it to rehire her

Originally published at: Walmart fired a worker with Down syndrome. A judge just ordered it to rehire her. | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I hope this person finds work somewhere else rather than force an ungrateful abusive employer to take them back

27 Likes

The Walton family are Corporate Welfare personified.

27 Likes

But in the end 50,000 for 5 years is nothing. Should have been 50,000 a year

24 Likes

Just in case it’s not obvious this guy is a Republican.

33 Likes

Miss Shields: But those who did it know their blame, and I’m sure that the guilt you feel is far worse than any punishment you might receive. Now, don’t you feel terrible? Don’t you feel remorse for what you have done? Well, that’s all I’m going to say about poor Flick.

Narrator: Adults loved to say things like that but kids knew better. We knew darn well it was always better not to get caught.

30 Likes

$830 a month. I’m guessing that doesn’t even pay for the Walton mansion’s water bill.

11 Likes

Even by the current standard of $15/hr, which would be $15,600 a year before taxes if she worked 20 hours a week, which would be a little less than $12k/yr after taxes.

13 Likes

Some other retailer could capitalize on this and loudly and publicly offer her a job.

12 Likes

The Bigger Picture

According to a 2018 report by the National Council on Disabilities, the ten most extensive sheltered workshops had combined annual revenue of $523 million, and the CEO of the biggest sheltered workshop received a salary of $1.1 million while employing 1,790 sub-minimum wage workers.

I used to work for a guy who boasted about employing the mentally disabled in previous businesses, but knowing him better I suspect this was his type of gig.

20 Likes

Ok, I get that legally “corporations are people”, but why are they always the worst kind of people?

(At least the really big ones. I’m sure there are some small very progressive incorporated businesses that aren’t the embodiment of evil, but you seem to rarely hear about them).

9 Likes

walmart paid lawyers to fight for 5 years AND THEN ended up paying more? why couldn’t they just accommodate the employee?

5 Likes

“It’s the principle of the thing”…

-some asshole at Walmart probably

10 Likes

Reputation to uphold?

4 Likes

An employer once said to me “if we accomodate that employee beyond the legal minimum, we might have to accomodate everyone.” This was in reference to a request to allow the employee to use the hospital oxygen at their desk, instead of having to tote their own tanks and use them during their shift.

In this case, Walmart did the math and decided it was cheaper to fight this employee using their on staff lawyers than to be nice to the emplyoee. Until we make treating people like shit more expensive than paying a CEO, this beahvior will continue.

20 Likes

Because as they are a legal fiction, no one can drag them out of their house and beat the shit out of them personally in person when they do this kind of egregious bullshit. A-fucking-gain.

12 Likes

Seeing Walmart refered to “it” makes me wonder what corporations proper pronouns are? Would it be like romance languages where there’s strict masculine or feminine nouns?

2 Likes

I am often reminded of something my father said, “Never trust a company that makes a show about how happy their employees are to work for them in their ad campaigns.”

15 Likes

Exactly. They are such a shit company.
Never even been in a Walmart. Never will go in one.

3 Likes

Good grief, seeing this sort of thing makes me really appreciate the assorted places I’ve worked over my life - every single one of them, right down to the tourist trap parking lots I worked in as a teenager in the late '80s/early '90s were very focused on making sure everyone working there knew their employee rights, people with disabilities were accommodated, and everyone was treated fairly.

One of my co-workers in the parking lot had severe birth defects, and we had extra equipment added to our golf-cart so he could still drive it properly even though his arms didn’t bend in the right directions to hold a normal steering wheel. They did this in the '80s. If a minimum wage seasonal employer with ~30 staff including management in the 80s can manage this stuff and still turn a large profit, why the heck can’t a modern megacorporation?

9 Likes