Walmart must pay $420,000 to fired employee with Down syndrome after failing to get new trial

Originally published at: Walmart must pay $420,000 to fired employee with Down syndrome after failing to get new trial | Boing Boing

6 Likes

7e2ffbd2339b83cfeae962407f1c8878

11 Likes

Well, that’s good news.

9 Likes

Wisconsin Walmart pays an average of $14.30/hr (makes me sick just typing that) in Wisconsin. That’s the equivalent of…

Stephen Colbert Calculator GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

29,371 hours, or about 14.4 years of full-time work.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Fuck Walmart. I hope Ms Spaeth was able to weather the past 7 years and doesn’t have to work another day in her life for pieces of shit like that.

ETA: Apparently this penalty comes after a $50,000 back pay judgement from the spring. Hopefully she gets to keep both.

15 Likes

This is great, but $420k plus back pay for a corporation with pockets as deep as Walmart still seems like kicking the disabled back to the curb face. They obviously cut their losses by not seeking a new trial.

4 Likes

Why be such supreme dicks about it? All it did was make their reputation even worse and show that they believe they are above the law. They should have given the employee what she wanted, appear to be empathetic and do something nice instead of looking like the greedy pricks they actually are.

2 Likes

Oh, they did. This is a judge refusing to grant that trial and telling them to pay up! Agree it’s a drop in the bucket for Walmart, but I’m sure it’s not for Spaeth.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.