Walmart parking lot bollard gives the 11 ft 8in bridge a run for its money

Sadly their journey ends like my game of Ultima 2 where I saved with only enough food to get within three steps of the closest food vendor

And of course welcome to the BBS!

15 Likes

So many of the cars that hit that bollard are just completely trashed. Why are people driving so fast in a parking lot? Yes, after spending more than 10 minutes in Walmart I desperately want to leave, but that doesn’t mean I drive like a maniac to get away.

24 Likes

I tried doing a virtual drive-thru; you’ll never guess what happened!

Yeah, “No Reports”. You’ve got to survive to report. This is an job for Abraham Wald.

15 Likes

They did do that already - they lined the yellow bollard with a wider, green bollard protector - but @wazroth could add it to the bollard bingo card. :wink:

Well one of those cars joined it in being stuck fast!

8 Likes

i think ive found the problem:

43 Likes

BOLLARD FAQ

Q: Why don’t they just move the bollard?

A: It is physically impossible to move the bollard. Not only is it illegal and unsafe to do so, its anchor is placed underneath an electrical conduit and over a sewer line. Please pay attention and read the whole thread first before commenting.

Q: Couldn’t they just divert the vehicle lane further around it?

A: No. Absolutely not. Again, even the very most cursory examination of the actual facts here would tell you that. The parking lot must have a certain number of spaces. Moving the lanes would reduce them. The lot cannot be expanded because there is a hospital on one side, and—you know what, forget it, I’m not doing your research for you.

Q: What if they rerouted the traffic so that cars came at it from the other direction?

A: Oh, just switch the lanes? Which means switching the direction of the angled spaces. Which means repainting the whole lot. And on which day? Pray tell, how exactly does that work in your universe?! Have you ever worked a day in your life? Do you think goods just magically appear without people needing to go to stores to get them? That’s it, isn’t it? That’s how you think the world works! You disgust me.

Q: What if they made it more visible?

A: There are EIGHTEEN DIFFERENT THINGS THAT ALREADY DO THAT you DELIBERATELY OBTUSE PIECE OF… oh god… I don’t feel so good.

Q: Wait, did I ask about moving the bollard?

A:

Q: Are you okay?

A:

Q: Oh wow, I don’t think that vein in your forehead is supposed to be doing that.

not directed at anyone here, just trying to bring that 11’8" magic to the thread

30 Likes

bollard.Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 1.00.45 PM

17 Likes

Sometimes the proper solution is to design around people’s fallibilities.

5 Likes

Ack! Sorry I’m late. Here goes…

29 Likes

These posts keep confirming my belief that our driving tests need to be substantially more difficult and more things need to cost you your license. There are a few convenience stores neat me with bollards in front because they’ve been hit by cars. Almost all of the bollards are now bent. If you can’t see the fixed location neon post, you don’t have control of your vehicle and shouldn’t be driving.

They did design around people’s fallibility, the bad driver hit a low cost bollard instead of a human being or car.

23 Likes

It’s low cost all around. Not a kerb to be seen. It’s possible that statistics can prove the folly of the design, but perhaps the local planning agency doesn’t actually have the money to collect this kind of data, or even to exist.

They should get an engineer to analyse traffic flow.

3 Likes

even just looking at the boingboing montage, you can see that people are actually hitting multiple different bollards.

in the bottom right image, they’ve hit the green one, and the one with the sign from another collision is right beside it. further down the “lane” is another green post also bent over.

definitely seems like the whole parking lot is ill designed. which probably means it’s cheaper for the store this way. until they get sued i guess

2 Likes

They should get a driving instructor to instruct and an examiner to fail people.

Even if that is the case, drivers should still be able to not drive their cars into bollards.

10 Likes

And an auto repair shop onsite.

11 Likes

Create a hazard and then sell the solution to that hazard

You’ve just invented capitalism!

11 Likes

kim scott pilgrim | Film | Pinterest | Scott pilgrim, Pilgrim and Gifs

6 Likes

“Why?” I implored the man, with Ingrid Bergman-level drama. “Why is it happening!”

Turns out Caron had an answer at the ready, and it wasn’t some droll lecture about distracted driving, either.

“A-pillar blind spots,” he said.

7 Likes

The A pillar blind spot has also taken out many motorcycles and bicyclists.

Whenever I’m on my motorcycle or bike or even running/walking I assume I’m invisible and ride like no one sees me. It keeps me safer.

18 Likes

They’ve actually got one. Walmart doesn’t miss an opportunity for profit.

9 Likes

Emperor Palpatine Do It GIFs | Tenor

14 Likes