Want a ride in a Lyft? Just sign away your right to sue if they kill, maim, rape or cheat you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/16/lyft-cheats.html

2 Likes

Do these EULA’s really mean that much? It’s like an NDA. They work only so long as someone thinks they are beholden to them. Once it’s in court NDA’s don’t always hold water. Any contract containing illegal verbiage is automatically disqualified. I would imagine half of all EULA’s are in the same boat and only half effective.

3 Likes

Unenforceable.

Kill or maim me, and my survivors will sue you; regardless to something that I clicked on.

21 Likes

Good to know they’ve done these changes. Between them and Uber i was more inclined to use Lyft but with these shenanigans maybe not. Though honestly i couldn’t tell you when the last time i used a rideshare service was

5 Likes

The past ten years will forever be chronicled in biz schools as the rise and fall of rideshare.

4 Likes

I bet they wish they’d thought of that sooner. Weasels gonna weasel.

I was in the same boat. I figured they were the lesser evil, but that clearly doesn’t make them good.

4 Likes

A little confused here, so Lyft is not the less-evil ridesharing company?

We need a list so we can grade the moral levels of corporations, really. We could categorize them in, say, Nine Circles…

4 Likes

Lately, when it comes to corporations, my default belief is that they are evil until proven otherwise. I was already skeptical, but now I’m outright jaded.

10 Likes

Did you agree, Cory?

1 Like

Don’t worry. Lyft is still the less evil ride share company. Uber is a dumpster fire of amoral corruption and bigotry. That bar is very low.

5 Likes

Lyft is like the John Bolton of ride share?

5 Likes

I dunno, this strikes me as more than clickwrap. Sure it’s shitty and anti-consumer, but this isn’t about your use of their software as software. It’s about what happens in the car you’re hiring/renting/subcontracting/“sharing”/etc. There are all kinds of enforceable provisions embedded in the app, like the rate and so forth.

And you are correct. I’ve had that view for almost forty years now, and it’s only gotten more true. There’s a reason most regulations exist, and it’s to protect the consumer. We’ve decided since Reagan not to bother with that any more, we’ll only regulate shit our donors tell us its okay to regulate, while hypocritically railing against “over-regulation” when it applies to the donor’s businesses.

Give me a good old, regulated cab. They aren’t perfect, but I at least know they are beholden to a set of rules and regulations the ride share companies scoff at.

3 Likes

Not to worry, the automobile itself will go to the same dev null that rideshare companies belong in. This innovation of externalizing the costs while privatizing the benefits, has gone just about as far as it possibly can.

Probably.

Although I’m no fan of rideshare apps at all, they have put the fear of Jesus into cab companies. So, instead of calling the cab company, maybe getting a human person, who then maaaaaybe dispatches a cab, then you have to pay $5 just for getting in the cab, and then the cabbie charges you an exorbitant rate for taking you the long way around, you get a cab the way you would get a rideshare, and their prices and service are competitive with rideshares.

2 Likes

Seems to me that if a company through its actions causes death or maiming, then that is a criminal matter and not susceptible to whatever the smartarse Lyft lawyers think.

1 Like

Riders expect caviar and lobster when they get in the car they paid 10 bucks for lmao. Such a dead end line of work, privileged riders and greedy company. Drivers are the real victims here. They are being robbed by both the passengers and the company.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.