Warner claims ownership over the numbers 36 and 50, and demonetizes Youtube videos that incorporate them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/24/thanks-otter-media.html

6 Likes

I’m all 36’s and 50’s all over, and I ain’t giving them a dime.

15 Likes

Since it’s pretty apparent that politicians are way too corrupt to do anything about this, is there some way a state ballot measure could help?

Statutory damages for false copyright claims against state residents?

Mandatory felony perjury charges for lawyers who falsely reject DMCA counterclaims against state residents?

20 Likes

well now that’s some bullshit, I copyrighted 36 the minute I thought of it

11 Likes

I’m no friend of the content ID system, but this is just about the worst description of what’s going on I can imagine. Does Cory literally think Warner is claiming copyright on some numbers? I can’t actually tell. I’m pretty sure the tweet is making a crack about how the content at issue is named really badly in a way that obfuscates the actual claim, but Cory doesn’t explain the actual problem here, it just sounds like a total knee-jerk reaction copy-paste of the same critique of content ID. I’m a regular reader, I’ve already seen it, can’t we have at least a little analysis explaining what’s going on here in particular?

14 Likes

That’s pretty funny. I’ve always wanted to see if I could somehow, in some context, trademark the word “nothing”.

2 Likes

I’m gonna copyright 0 and 1 so I can rule the Internet.

17 Likes

My goodness! Are you disappointed in boingboing!? Heavens to betsy!

How is the assessment wrong? Can you bring something to the conversation?

10 Likes

I called dibs on 44!

8 Likes

You can have 45, no charge.

20 Likes

42 here. It’s mine now and forever.

6 Likes

But…but, one is the loneliest number…

6 Likes

Somebody brought up some kind of technical explanation deep in the replies, but it appears that the original tweeter honestly thought they were being hit with copyright claims over numbers.

5 Likes

A lot of his articles are like this…

5 Likes

I have filed my copright on π and have issued a takedown notice for this infringing Universe. I have received word that the infringing content should be remo–

[EOL]

5 Likes

I just copyrighted 34. Whatcha gonna do now, pervs?

9 Likes

This was brought to you by the letters F & U !

6 Likes

My thought too was it’s likely a code or ID mistakenly mapped to the alert message. That said, you could still mockingly call it out and make the point about the sloppiness of the system, with that notice as an example, while then recognizing the probable source of the error, and tone down the hyperbole, which just makes the commentary lose credibility. Oh well. I’ve often commented on cory’s random pull-quote generator, so his posts are just all over the place quality wise.

11 Likes

Is this what the notices actually mean?

Because knowing nothing else about the matter, I’d look at that and assume it was referencing something like “the copyrighted content occurs 36 seconds into the video.”

3 Likes

There was a brilliant (of course, considering the author) story by Stanislaw Lem, one of his robot stories, where one of the characters invented a robot that could make anything that started with “N”. The rival of the character, also an inventor, came along and wanted to challenge this character… He told the robot to make “Nothing”. That’s when everything in the universe started to disappear.

Go ahead and trademark “nothing”, or do “nothing”, just try not to embrace “nothingness”, it can be dangerous.

Signed,
Trurl and Klapaucius

12 Likes