Was "Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2" good, actually?

4 Likes

I watched/re-watched all of Key & Peele several years ago, and you can effeminately see Peele’s love of horror, though with a humorous bent.

1 Like

It was a helluva lot better than the overhyped, shakey-cam, boring dud of an “original” that just mashed the superior “The Evil Dead” and “The Last Broadcast”. The only time you could see anything in that film it was right up some woman’s nose.

I worked at a theater when the first one came out. After the employee screening we were all SO disappointed. I made it my personal mission to go in front of the auditorium before each showing to tell the audience that it might make them motion sick and to close their eyes or look away from the screen if they felt nauseated. Still, we had people throw up at almost every showing.

When part 2 came out I was dubious, but actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

1 Like

It’s fine. I just wish they had either gone with the William Gibson script, with the xenomorph as a mutagenic virus, and Hicks as the main character, or that they had tried Vincent Ward’s weird-ass “Monks on a Wooden Planet” script.

On topic, I rather enjoyed my theater-going experience with the first Blair Witch movie. Nothing mind-blowing, but I had a fun ride. That said, I re-watched it later and it was…not great. I always assumed the second was horrible direct-to-video trash, but maybe I’ll check it out.

1 Like

There are some really good adaptations of this. The graphical novel is good; the Audible audio drama is great.

I like Alien 3 as well. And it has Space Brian Glover.

3 Likes

That was the last fully coherent one, as far as the overall storytelling goes, IMO.

2 Likes

Huh, guess I blocked that this sequel was made from my memory. I think the only reason I didn’t puke in the theater at the first one was because I was really high when it started. After they crossed the stream/river they parked their car next to for the 3rd time, I lost all interest, decided the characters should die, and possibly took a nap for a hot second. I still want my 90+/- minutes back.

I don’t care if the sequel was any good, the original had nothing but contempt for the audience. A bridge was burned, the bridge those idiot kids parked on.

2 Likes

I like how no one mentions Blair Witch (2016), because that movie wasn’t good. And the ending, I just don’t even know what all was going on there. I mean I sort of do, but too much was shown. I saw the first Blair Witch in the theater and the ending and setup was pretty solid.

I can deal with the shaky cam in Blair Witch. Now in Cloverfield, just no. That movie is garbage because everyone either needed to die in the first 30 mins or just leave the damn city and end the movie in 30 mins or less.

I saw Aliens 3 in the theater as well and rather liked it. I like all the Aliens films (not necessarily the ones with Predators though). I don’t care what anyone says Alien: Resurrection was amazing.

2 Likes

Saw the first one about six months before its theatrical release, courtesy of a buddy of mine who had picked it up while hobnobbing at Sundance. It was on a several-generations down VHS tape, before it had been transferred to film, had its audio sweetened, or had the extra backstory about Rustin Parr added.

This, IMO, is the ONLY way to watch the movie. It felt like a physical artifact of an actual event, and the ambiguity and lack of context of the end was TERRIFYING.Not to mention the otherworldly tittering during the tent attack, which was replaced in the final version by the much less scary sound of giggling children.

I couldn’t linger in darkened rooms for days afterwards.

2 Likes

The thing that annoyed me so much about the Blair Witch phenomenon was the number of friends who asked me, “Hey, is that the ghost that was so popular when you were a kid?” And I had to say, “No, that was The Bell Witch, which is local folklore that inspired a very different but equally terrible movie.”

1 Like

Right?! I will DIE on this hill.

1 Like

Two words:

Live. Birth.

That alone was enough to fail in the suspension of my disbelief.

1 Like

Yep, I get it - it strayed a LONG way from what most would consider canon, and I totally respect being put off because of that. But that’s exactly what I’ve grown to love about it over the years - it’s just so BONKERS. If I view it as a black comedy riff on the Alien universe by the director of Delicatessen, and not as continuity within the Ripleyverse, it works for me as wild entertainment. I certainly would rather watch it than Alien 3 (which I don’t dislike, but for me is the weakest of the Quadrilogy).

1 Like

Ah, allow me to direct you to the first rule of entertaining Melz

For me, mere shock value or whimsical incoherence just isn’t enough.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.