Washington initiates "ritualized response" to Las Vegas massacre

Horror? Check.

Sympathy? Check.

Anger? Check.

Shock? Not so much.

8 Likes

Washington initiates “ritualized response” to Las Vegas massacre

Yes, please stop killing our slaves, it’s bad for business, said the US Gov.

5 Likes

OH COME ON

Slaves? Really? People with a median household income of $50K a year who can quit any time they want, pack up their shit and just leave? How does that compare to, say, the average 1850s African American in South Carolina?

4 Likes

To be a slave, all you need is fear, and brother we got more than you can wag a stick at.

6 Likes

No. No. No. “Slave” is not defined as “a person living in fear.” Words are supposed to have a meaning. Please quit polluting the language commons with your (broadly shared…) tendency to throw the strongest possible term at anything you happen to object to.

9 Likes
10 Likes

You realize that fully automatic weapons are already banned, right? That said, tougher regulation of semi auto guns and magazine size sounds like a good idea. Not that either of those would likely have affected this particular situation much.

1 Like

I know, right? He can’t even follow the standard “thoughts and prayers” script without making it sound weird. It’s like he’s giving someone an open-mouthed kiss at a funeral.

15 Likes

You are correct to point out that they are currently banned and have been since the '30s. Thanks.

I will just mention that I have a couple of well-armed Facebook friends (who also have friends) who think that ban should be lifted because tyranny. One even posted a pro-gun meme today in the wake of this fresh tragedy. So it’s not a dead issue. Particularly in today’s political climate of fear-mongering. Stay vigilant.

4 Likes
1 Like

Absent measurable changes in behavior, the ritualized “thoughts and prayers” response is exposed as socio-religious masturbation.

It’s time (and long past) for rational adults to make meaningful decisions and take concrete actions.

3 Likes

Happiness is a warm condolence.

6 Likes

Ammosexual

12 Likes

What evidence do you have that fully automatic weapons are banned? I just ran a search and found several statements to the contrary including recent news articles. Example 1. Example 2. Access is limited and substantially regulated, but far from prohibited. There are gun nuts on one side of my family who regularly discuss readily available articles about, and suppliers of modifications for widely available semi-automatic weapons that convert them.

1 Like

Yep. This is that guy. I’ve known him for 40 years. Used to be the nicest kid. Joined the Navy. “Won the Cold War.” Retired to a red state. Now he’s one of those guys.

They are effectively enough banned (e.g. It is hard enough to get an ffl license) that they haven’t been used in any mass shootings or gun crimes in decades anyway, so, for the purpose of this debate, effectively banned.

There are many semi-auto weapons that anyone with an end mill could trivially convert to full auto, but that is extremely illegal, and it hasn’t played any role at all in our epidemic of mass shootings, which are all done with completely legal semiauto guns that you can get in 15 minutes without any kind of licensing requirements, and own legally.

Edit: It sounds like I’m wrong this time. Apparently this guy did have full auto weapons. That’s a first, and they haven’t said how he got them yet.

2 Likes

Welcome to how i feel in general I know people have it worse than me, but still… Hear ‘I wish I could help’ often enough and any sentement tends to get lost and you have to keep reminding yourself that basically everyone these ays are maybe one bad day away from losingeverything without taking on somebody else’s troubles.

Plus I really do wish I could help every natural disaster every widespread problem needing volunteers i keep thinking ‘hey I’m not doing anything… how do i get there?’ And well… Yea.

1 Like

Also in the script: “Now is not the time to talk about gun control policy.” Sarah Sanders checked this box today.

5 Likes

No, the NRA is right. On this specific thing, at least, and indeed, at most.

No extra deaths would result from a device whose chief use, unless employed as part of integrated highly specialized weapons such as the Welrod, is to preserve hearing when firing in an enclosed space.

Gun control advocates must learn about the thing they mean to control or they will never, ever get anywhere.

4 Likes

There’s a common sequence of events:

1. A domestic mass shooting occurs.
  2. People respond to it by saying “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims.”
  3. Other people respond to that with ridicule.

There’s another common sequence of events:

1. A terrorist action occurs committed by least one person who has crossed a border.
  2. People respond to it with a “Tactical Assault Ballad.”
  3. Other people respond to that with ridicule.

Both of them follow this template:

1. A horrible crime occurs.
  2. Many respond to it by advocating one form or another of people control. (Gun control and border control are people control disguised by a euphemism.) OTOH, opponents of that form of people control look hard-hearted.
  3. In order to forestall that, opponents of people control respond with a purely symbolic action.
  4. Others respond to that with ridicule.

To make matters worse, nearly everybody will ignore the resemblance.

1 Like