Watch a chef try valiantly to make military MRE rations appear gourmet

Yeah, me too! I think my favorite was either the Corned Beef or Spaghetti, but I would do well trading for Omelet dinners.

1 Like

I’ve eaten more of these things than I can possibly remember, and on the whole they aren’t really all that bad. They’re not especially good, but they don’t taste bad either. They’re just generally very bland and they tend to look pretty unappetizing, but those problems are remedied by hot sauce and being sufficiently hungry, respectively.

2 Likes

Great, now I’m hungry … again.

1 Like
1 Like

Instead of trying to make MREs “appear gourmet”, how about turning them into proper food?

I did not serve, but my guess is that it likely has to do with how a military force decides to spend its budget and what they think is worth the organizational effort. From what i’ve seen online over the years some MREs are really quite nice, not sure why the US ones are so mediocre but my hunch is: Money.

1 Like

One of the Army labs that’s just down the street from where I work has been working on MRE pizza. Though now it looks like it has been delayed from its planned 2018 rollout because the pizza turns brown over time.

2 Likes

They are proper food. And they are quite edible TYVM.

Also, understand the purpose for which they are intended. Soldiers/Marines do not eat these things on a daily basis. They are designed to be field rations. Any service person will gladly take the modern MRE as it is an extreme improvement over the former c-rations:

1 Like

I’ve seen a few videos of people trying C-Rations. They seem like pretty grim eating

Current Oz ration:

Moroccan lamb for the main course.

2 Likes

I would have been impressed if the video showed the chef valiantly eating his concoctions.

3 Likes

I hear the French have the best rations (because of course they do), but I still have fond memories of BISCUITS, FRUIT, which were immeasurably superior to BISCUITS, BROWN in the UK rations.

2 Likes

And Spangles.

1 Like

You could use the biscuits from the old EPA rations to improvise body armour.

1 Like

My friends who served in the French army said they looked decent but tasted bad.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.