A video that explains why airplane food sucks – and it doesn't have to do with cost

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/29/a-video-that-explains-why-airp.html

3 Likes

Explain Korean Air then.

5 Likes

The facts may be accurate, but I’ll dispute the conclusions drawn. I’m…pretty sure these are the two facts are the only factors keeping airline food edible. I can’t even imagine if you could actually taste that mushy mess.

2 Likes

I came to say the same basic thing. Airline food in the US has always been terrible to me.

…But now that I fly to SE Asia on the regular on Korean Air, EVA and ANA I look forward to my inflight meals and make sure I don’t eat before my flight. Of course some meals, fall short but this is a rarity.

6 Likes

Best advice I ever got on how to deal with trans-Atlantic jet lag was:

1. Don’t eat the food.
  2. Don’t watch the movie.
  3. And don’t make any important decisions after 4 o’clock.
1 Like

The bibimbap I got on Korean Air was easily the best airline meal I can remember.

7 Likes

I like its interactivity.

Airline food is awful for the same reason hospital food is awful - making hundreds of meals at once that spend hours in between being prepared and being served is one surefire way to ensure that nothing tastes the way it should. Add in lowest common denominator cuisine (nothing can have a strong taste or be at all spicy), and the meals served are almost guaranteed to be taste more food adjacent instead of like actual food.

7 Likes

They serve food on airplanes? What is this, the 1960s?

5 Likes

I remember watching the cart come down the aisle and the stewardess saying “bibimbap?” to everyone Asian and “beef stroganoff?” to everyone else. I’m glad I knew the cheat code.

7 Likes

don’t fly much, and never flown Korean Air, but the most pleasant flight I’ve had (since the 70s) was on SAS.

3 Likes

The best meal I’ve had on a plane was on Delta of all carriers.

It was a box with 3 types of tillamook cheese and some nice crackers. It was enough to fill me up and did not disappoint.

Airlines should focus on what can be accomplished given the limitations at hand… a cheese plate was a good example of this.

8 Likes

About 20 years ago, I flew Air France, and the food was very nice. A slice of brie, a little roll, I think there was an apple in there, and 100 ml of wine, on the house!

6 Likes

Flying there the first time I honestly didn’t know what it was but saw people in the rows ahead of me getting it and it looked both fun and delicious. Glad I did.

3 Likes

Yeah, the cracker & cheese boxes are always a safe bet, if insanely overpriced. My method has always been to look at an app that lists the available food options at my terminal, get through security as quickly as possible, beeline to my selection and stock up on snacks, water(most important of all!) and a meal. I try to avoid anything too stinky or messy/fussy out of respect for my fellow travelers. A nice fat burrito usually does it.

3 Likes

ok…so when I fly coach there is no real food options. I suppose there are some sandwiches and cheese platter offerings…but I feel like those taste the same regardless of where you get them.

The times I have flown first class, the food is up and down. JetBlue has some tasty stuff. American isn’t bad either.

As I observed recently on a Delta flight (their chicken wrap was actually very tasty), you could try and bring your own food; nary a blink from the flight attendant as she offered ‘free’ drinks and snacks to the couple seated next to me, happily munching away well before. Just don’t accept any sweetbreads from anyone… especially if his name is Hannibal. (Hint: Avoid whatever comes in a Tupperware container. Otherwise, a Dean & Deluca gourmet pack is good to go.)

2 Likes

That’s the vegan, lactose free, gluten free, kosher, halal, diabetic meal.

1 Like

Back when I was vegetarian (and even when I wasn’t) I used to follow the advice of ‘travel bloggers’ to request a vegetarian or kosher meal with the theory that it’d be ‘freshly made’, I suppose. The reality was that 99% of the time it was either just a wilted salad or some noodles with a tasteless warm sauce on them.

3 Likes

So nobody can have a good meal in Phoenix at a typically loud restaurant? I’m not saying there’s no effect here, but it seems like the forest is being lost for the trees. The fact that the meals (in the rare occasions where you actually get them) are bottom tier microwaved tv dinners seems like a much bigger factor to me.

Airplanes aren’t even that loud these days! Even “horrible” CRJs and EMBs are quite enough that you can hear quiet conversation around you.

4 Likes