Watch: A crow keeps its distance on a California beach

The main thing is, ravens are much much much much much much less common than crows—especially in San Diego—so we’d do well to remember Carl Sagan’s advice about extraordinary claims and extraordinary evidence

3 Likes

I figure they’d be more common where I live (MD), but I never saw a raven until earlier this year (probably). There’s also the one (maybe) that was yelling a few years ago.

1 Like

Surely this deserves a mention.

3 Likes

I was thinking about Kitty Hawk.

4 Likes

Ah, I was restricting my thoughts to (ongoing) airfields…

1 Like

This is neat!

In Texas we also have grackles, which can look very similar. The easiest way to distinguish is their call, which is a bizarre crackle-pop-whistle noise.

2 Likes

Corvids can imitate human voices, but I haven’t met one that understood the concept of “words”

1 Like

That’s putting it mildly…

I had this phobia of walking underneath the trees at night, fearing I would be shat upon. I didn’t know what I would do if a grackle shit on me! Then one did. And I was right, I didn’t know what to do. Thought about it a moment, quietly went back to the dorm, cleaned up, went on with my life – but grackles are still probably my least-favorite of aves.

ETA:

2 Likes

Meet this one, then!

1 Like

I’ve always identified Grackles by their freaky eyes.

Up here in Chicagoland they are a summer visitor, arriving shortly after the robins.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.