Watch: A crow keeps its distance on a California beach

Originally published at: Watch: A crow keeps its distance on a California beach | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Avian flight tech is pretty impressive.

13 Likes

V/STOL

No it is not a complete sentence.

10 Likes

That’s a great piece of footage. Amazing how such a tiny brain can do so much. No human-made flying machine can even touch that level of control and efficiency in windy, chaotic conditions.

17 Likes

Awesome video. BTW, this isn’t just near San Diego, it’s in the city limits. :slight_smile:
La Jolla is technically a neighborhood, not an actual town.
Also, right there is the Salk Institute. The pubic is allowed on the grounds and the small campus is very cool.

10 Likes

That is also about the only free parking you’ll find relatively close to UCSD!

3 Likes

That bird knows how to fly: forwards, sideways, crabwise, backwards. Wow.

6 Likes

The Torrey Pines Gliderport, is the most historic aviation site in North America

Really? I get that they need to market things, but really? The most historic aviation site in North America? Really?

4 Likes

I’m no expert, but that looks more like a Common Raven than a crow. Note the feathers around the beak and the brief size comparison with the random human.

4 Likes

What a great photo. This is where my mind lept to.

3 Likes

That is much more like how it feels out here right now. /s

3 Likes

Two of my favorite bands have done awesome live covers of Shine on You Crazy Diamond. FYI, if you’re interested. :slight_smile:
I just saw Umphrey’s last week when they finally made it back to do a west coast run after covid put the kibosh on that twice. I’ve seen them probably 8 times and they kill.
And Gov’t Mule… I mean, Warren and the boys always do a cover right.

2 Likes

Good point.

It’s tail feathers are also wedge shaped which is usually a good hint.

I have trouble telling big crows and small ravens apart sometimes (The big ones are obvious), but I’m also leaning Raven.

3 Likes

It is indeed a raven. For the unkindness of the reporting, crow should be eaten.

7 Likes

FWIW, full-size sailplanes flew at Torrey Pines Gliderport from 1920 through (IIRC) 2008 using bungee and winch launches. UCSD stopped allowing this from 2009 on, as they own the runway and have been building various structures in the area, including the Salk Institute and dormitories. Pictures and movies of soaring at Torrey Pines inspired many people to become glider pilots, including myself. Sadly, I never did get a chance to fly there.

2 Likes

Damn it, I hemmed and hawed on whether it was a crow or raven, but I guess I guessed wrong and now there’s some crow to be eaten. Muh bad, y’all!!! Guilty…. ^_____^

1 Like

Right? The airport just down the road from us would like a word with them. (And ALB might like a word with both)

1 Like

When in doubt, just remember…

2 Likes

7 Likes

Wow, the aughts feel like it was just yesterday, but when I turn my gaze back through the pollution resulting from the smoking wreck after the mid-teens, it suddenly feels like so long ago…

This is how my mind will work next time I try to remember the difference, I’ll say to myself: “that poster said wedge-shaped or fan-shaped, but which one has the fan shaped tail?” Also, is “American Crow” North/South America or Murica’?

3 Likes