Watch a katana sword slice through plastic water bottles in slow motion

I came here to “Watch a katana sword slice through plastic water bottles in slow motion”, what I got was to “Watch in slow motion as a katana sword slices through plastic water bottles.”

The distinction being that the slow motion happens after the event whereas the original byline implies that the act itself is done in slow motion - fake news!

2 Likes

Would love to know where they got the katana, which actually seems to have a proper edge unlike most “wall hangers” available today. I’d love to try this with my razor-edged 400 year old blade, but don’t have the slo-mo kit that would make for good video!

1 Like

I have never held my bokken in such a weird manner, nor have I ever been instructed to. I hold it more or less the same way O Sensei does in the video.

2 Likes

I would love to examine your katana! I am very interested in temper lines.

But I understand if you don’t want me to. I loaned my finest antique axe to someone for the first time ever, and I’ve got a lot of work to do on it now.

In re: nomenclature - I’ve given up on trying to get people to say mail instead of chainmail, sæx instead of sax knife, pizza instead of pizza pie… it’s not important.

1 Like

What weird manner? What I described is standard. Or do you mean the finger pointing thing? Yes, it’s a thing… and it’s very silly and impractical.

1 Like

Yeah, the finger pointing thing. That’s nuts.

2 Likes

Yup, I’d like to know more about that katana… good replica, or the real thing?
I used to know guys who had both, and used the replicas for training.
Although that one guy once broke a real one from his collection…
IIRC he wanted to get rid of a wooden box or something like that in the basement. He started to chop it up with a small axe but didn’t get good results (axe just bouncing back and scratching the box) and got frustrated. So he went back in his flat and grabbed a random katana from his collection that wasn’t in its display box but on his desk, waiting to get polished.
So he takes that katana to the basement and has another go at the box. First strike slices right through the box and feels so good that he works himself into some sort of a cutting frenzy. Turns the box into kindling and starts to chop up any bit of wood lying around. Only that’s when his technique gets a bit sloppy and he either doesn’t hit the target right or possibly hits the concrete floor instead, he never was entirely sure. Anyway, a good quarter of the blade breaks off. A sobering moment, no doubt.
He took the blade to an aquaintance working in a metallurgy lab at Brown Boveri, with the vague hope that it might be able to weld the two bits together again. But they couldn’t really tell what kind of steel the blade was (at least not without a series of tests, which was right out as a favour to a mate instead of an official assignment), so couldn’t recommend a repair method.
In the end, he converted the damaged katana into a wakizashi, which looked really nice, but still…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.