Swords! SWORDS!

Oh, oh, I might have an advantage here. How many of you actually own swords? I know @Medievalist will probably run me through, and the only real steel I have is a rapier, but its more than most people.

ETA - to be fair, I probably should have an irregular tag.

11 Likes

1864 Union cavalry saber

3 Likes

No swords, but the tombstone piledriver has taken me to the final 28.

Bring it, you pencil-necks.

13 Likes

19 Likes

23 Likes

Don’t you live in Japan? Or do they not trust foreigners with swords…

9 Likes

*sighs

7 Likes

I misspoke, its not that its illegal just that it requires very special permits which are not actually easy to get for anyone.

http://www.jssus.org/nkp/japanese_sword_laws.html

10 Likes

Don’t trust everything you see on TV.

6 Likes

I have walked into a store in Tokyo and bought a katana, no questions asked.[quote=“Israel_B, post:612, topic:99223”]
I misspoke, its not that its illegal just that it requires very special permits which are not actually easy to get for anyone.
[/quote]

19 Likes

Y’know, it’s just the weirdest thing; I believe you.

26 Likes

You didn’t need directions to the store. The blade just called to you and you knew where to go. Upon first sight, the shopkeeper knew you were the chosen one and humbly handed over the weapon.

Have you named it yet?

30 Likes

One of those souvenir types or an actual blade? It was trying to buy an actual blade that got me looking at the law.

3 Likes

A real one, for real training.

Edit: that didn’t say what I meant. I was with someone who did serious training in multiple martial arts, and who became interested in katanas and other weapons as a result. Obviously you don’t use a real blade in training! But it was quite real: sharp and dangerous.

14 Likes

Well color me surprised.

2 Likes

Neat. Got pics? What kind of store was it? Can I go next time?

If/when I got to Japan I have to go to a traditional forge and watch one being made. I will never be able to afford one of THOSE. But a Chinese made Paul Chen is supposed to be serviceable.

8 Likes

If you want katanas or all sorts of weaponry, the place to go is one of those rural mega flea markets, like this one not far from where I used to live in Ohio. It’s the kind of place you can buy swords, guns, “fell off the truck” electronics, Army surplus gear, brass knuckles, used mattresses (?!), and lots of beanie babies.

10 Likes

Selling dodgy used weaponry within sight of Big Butter Jesus. Tsk tsk.

7 Likes

Dude! Big Butter Jesus burned down! Struck down by lightning.

Replaced a few years ago with a much less buttery Jesus.

4 Likes

I’m a little surprised that on further reading, the laws only date back to 1958:

I would have thought outlawing swords would date back to the 1850’s.

6 Likes