Swords! SWORDS!

Duh. Who’s gonna say no to @chgoliz? You were obviously sword-worthy.

16 Likes

Japan’s weapons laws have changed a great deal over time, although I’m not sure how they’ve changed recently (I’m not from this century) or if they vary by district.

Incidentally, perhaps unrelatedly, unsharpenable swords are an actual thing - if you try to sharpen them, you’ll just ruin (or ignite) them without ever achieving a usable edge. I have occasionally seen katanas sold for iaido and kenjutsu that could not be sharpened, but I can’t imagine who buys them, since most aspiring kenshi will want to do tameshigiri at some point and you have to be sharp for that. ¯\(°_o)/¯

One of my schlagers was originally assembled by Paul Chen (I modified it somewhat, replacing the blade and pommel). When I bought it I had never heard of the name before, and it’s obviously nothing like a katana, but it’s certainly been a serviceable piece and reasonably good looking.

@Donald_Petersen, others, I understand what you are saying, and I am sure the others you’re addressing understand as well. I just don’t agree. The good facets of the restricted area were good, but they didn’t need the restrictions in order to exist (you could make a functional “welcome newbies” or “hey rube” thread right now with very little effort, the tools are all here) and tiered segregation of the commentariat was an enabler of psychologies and behavior I personally don’t like. Perhaps I’ve read too much Zimbardo.

I think I’ve said all I care to on that subject, though, and the die has been cast in any case. Give it some time, see what happens.

1 Like

I have a few fake replica swords, but getting real, blacksmithed western and eastern swords on my wall has always been something I (and my partner) have wanted.

Several of my good friends used to be involved in the Toronto Ren Faire when it was here, which required theatre combat training. as a result, they can now use my replica swords in ways that are absolutely terrifying to watch :smiley:

5 Likes

A crappy katana and crappy wakizashi dating back to my high school D&D days.
Some sort of scimitar from the same time period.
A replica Sephiroth sword
A replica Fusion sword replica (also final fantasy)

Those last 2 I came into in my current phase (i.e. mid-30’s), because my baby brother and I have a Christmas prank war going on in which we buy each other ever larger and more useless gifts for Christmas. Last year I got a giant martini glass, and I gave him a copy of the Codex Seraphinianus.

That damn Sephiroth sword is like 8 and a half feet long, and there’s only one place in my condo I can store it. I think he’s winning.

6 Likes

They had a good teacher, that’s exactly what show combat is for! :slight_smile:

I don’t do a lot of historical recreation fighting, personally, I prefer sport fighting. Real fighting with fake weapons instead of fake fighting with real weapons.

I do have a small but lasting scar on the top of one shoulder where I missed a step in a show fight 20+ years ago, though.

4 Likes

My best made weapon is a hand forged dagger with pattern welded steel, often called Damascus, though technically it isn’t.

2 Likes

The current law anyway. Weapons control laws here in various forms date back to the 1500s

The sub heading for that picture with quote marks around the word gun is strange. I know that shop, its in Shibuya up the hill from Tower Records and they do sell guns not “guns”. A shotgun will set the purchaser back about US$4K (provided of course one is licensed to own one).

While we may have less than a handful of gun related deaths here per year, we do still have the occasional mass stabbing and vehicular homicides.

National law on this matter.

Which is what I figured the over the counter easy purchase by @chgoliz was.

2 Likes

Nope: sharp sword, the real McCoy (quite expensive).

3 Likes

Do you recall where you purchased it?

Paging Florida Man.

1 Like

Already asked and answered.

Since the thread got re-organized all I see here is “in Tokyo”. Would you mind re-answering if you have something more specific than this whole prefecture?

I am gonna guess she walked in baring visible tattoos, with some friends she made at the nearby Olsen* (also with tattoos).

ETA: *Onsen

3 Likes

My guess is she walked in with an Olsen. No-one fucks with either of those two.

1 Like

oh dammit. Stupid autocorrect.

2 Likes

Anyone who’s not stupid like me knows what you meant. I just loved the mental image. :heart:

1 Like

I don’t know what @chgoliz looks like, but just about anyone would look badass with a bunch of Japanese weapon sellers getting freaked out because you show up rollin’ deep with the twins among your posse.

3 Likes
  • Sword
  • No sword
  • Guilitine i’m in a hurry
  • Gun which century is this
  • I’m not going to be the one

0 voters

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.