Watch a server room's isolated floor do its job during earthquake

We just leave the casters unlocked. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

the getty museum say they have ‘gravity wells’ for classic vases

And during the rut the boxxen clash and lock rails in a brutal struggle for dominance…

1 Like

I was working for an Engineering company that was involved with the construction of the Los Angeles Cathedral, which is on rubber base isolators. What made that building unique was that it included a crypt, which was above the level of the isolators. So the dead will be well protected when the big one hits. Those in the adjacent parking structure, however, won’t be that lucky.

1 Like

That new Apple mother ship is apparently set on bearings so that the whole thing can move 48 inches in any direction.

Defended by guards with gravity knives?

1 Like

Lagrange points 4 and 5 are outside the protection of Earth’s magnetosphere for approximately two-thirds of the time.

The ‘Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa’ in Wellington has suspension like that, because obviously right on top of a major geological fault is the perfect spot for a capital city. :smiling_imp: It’s an odd sensation being inside when an earthquake hits, it just gently sways rather than rattling. Makes it feel like being in a ship at sea.

I think that is what we are seeing. The server floor is standing still (more or less), and the rest of the building is moving. It only looks the other way round because the camera is mounted on the part of the building that moves; so no relatve movement between camera and building, and a messed up reference frame.
You can see 2 CCTV cameras mounted above the switch cabinets on the right; no reason the CCTV camera the picture’s from is not mounted in the same way.

Pretty much like this, shit gets real about 4 mins in:

What kind of sysadmin would even consider “risk death by earthquake or risk unscheduled downtime?” to be a choice?

(Plus, in this case, the server room appears to be the relatively comfy spot. Unusual; but I doubt that cube farms get the cool flooring.)

1 Like

Isn’t it New York where any sharp object that looks at a cop funny and/or is carried by someone a cop looks at funny is a ‘gravity knife’?

I dunno. To me, it sound like a nasty piece of sci-fi weaponry.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.