Watch a server room's isolated floor do its job during earthquake

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/30/watch-a-server-rooms-isolate.html

4 Likes

I didn’t know LaGrange was sold in fifths.

8 Likes

Oh, it’s the fifth point? Crap, I better… um, nothing, never mind, just rambling, you know me. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

L5 huh? Well that explains the load times. Ba dum dum splash!

12 Likes

I can’t help but be reminded of the “buildings on springs” within Cheyenne Mountain.

2 Likes

Yikes, that looks like a pinching hazard.

6 Likes

Kinda curious about the seismic isolation fiber lines connecting the server room to the rest of the world.

3 Likes

I’d like to see the video reverse-stabilized to show the server platform standing still and the building moving around it

11 Likes

Anyone who has lived in Japan has at least one good earthquake story. Twenty years ago I lived in Chiba and worked on the 19th floor at Fujitsu. During one quake, I could feel our building swaying one way and then the other. I looked out of the window to see the NTT building next door doing the same thing, albeit 180 degrees out of phase. It was then that I realized: 1) Just how much we were actually moving; and 2) That my normally-nonchalant Japanese co-workers were hiding under their desks rather than gawking out of the window. That is, this was a big one.

6 Likes

Let me guess. You don’t have enough energy to transfer from L4 to L5?

Where there’s a will, there’s a trajectory.

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jbsmse/v28n2/29744.pdf

4 Likes

Not having ever experienced a real earthquake first hand I was fascinated to see how long that went on for. I realize there are different kinds of quakes but I’m not sure it ever occurred to me that one could just keep shaking continuously like that with pretty even intensity.

1 Like

Maybe someone will come through:

1 Like

Check the date of the video (March 11, 2011), this is the same earthquake that produced the crisis in the Fukushima nuclear plants, also, the location of the video, Sendai is quite close to the epicenter (for example, 1hr driving/train to Fukushima). This was a BIG earthquake.

I have experienced quakes in other countries including Japan (and in Sendai! I was way scared as it was a couple of years after 3/11, but it was small, a 4ish) and a couple of Mw 6-7 in Costa Rica. Nothing compared to that on the video yet…

6 Likes

And the sysadmins are in there checking on the servers.

3 Likes

Probably just (very very careful) slack. Fiber’s tensile strength isn’t exactly structural; but it has a pretty commendable bend radius and flexibility for something made of glass; so a suitably loosely draped length of the stuff could bridge the gap.

Now, if you want the buried fiber to survive seismic upheaval; no good answers to that one. Stash microwave tower on the roof?

4 Likes

Well tell the mods, because they are over in Lagrange 4. Badump bump! Pshhhh! (Playing my drums with banhammers.)

1 Like

Get out of that bed, wash your face and hands
Get out of that bed, wash your face and hands
Get in that kitchen, make some noise with the pots and pans

I’ve experienced a number of earthquakes while working in NZ - nothing big, though, I think the strongest was a 5 or so.

It’s almost impossible to convey the weirdness of feeling the whole floor moving in different directions under you and the fear that engenders. It didn’t help that I was in the shower in that biggest quake I had felt and was debating whether to run outside into a Wellington winter wearing only a towel. The quake lasted long enough for me to debate the pos and cons of that action for what seemed like ages. In some ways I was sad to miss the last big earthquake in Wellington last October (I had just left), but it’s probably good that I did.

It makes us treat disaster recovery very seriously - when all three of the largest cities in the countries (and both the data centers we use) are in active earthquake and volcanic zones. Makes me laugh when I see how half-assed most DR plans are in the US or Europe.

1 Like

Are you sure that they didn’t install the servers in the subway?

1 Like

Many careers ago, I got to go into a Fortune 10s primary US data center. I was shocked that they had such a system…now I know why they would!