Watch a timelapse of climbers breaking an El Capitan record

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/11/watch-a-timelapse-of-climbers.html

4 Likes

Blimey, the scale of that rock boggles my brain; and, that bit, where the climbers alternate dropping ropes for the other one to swing from, was like something from a puzzle-based platform game.

9 Likes

Kirk%20Climbs%20El%20Capitan%2C%20Yellowstone%2C%20Star%20Trek%20V%2C%20Spock%20Advises

14 Likes

It’s even more boggling when you’re standing at the bottom of it!

2 Likes

That’s my guys!

3 Likes

The video is awesome. But what’s with that music at the start? Sounds written for a holocaust memorial.

Indeed. There’s really nothing to prepare you for what it’s like to walk through that valley. Yosemite National Park is one of the most special places on earth.

2 Likes

an amazing display of superhuman mastery unlike anything I’ve seen before

After reading about Honnold free soloing El Capitan, it’s hard to get too excited about someone breaking a record by a few minutes.

I was more put off by the music when the climb starts. If YouTube were around in the late 70s, would all videos of this nature have a disco music background?

Not sure what kind of music would have been appropriate but neither piece works very well here.

Yeah… no. I do a modest amount of climbing (no trad lead yet) but i don’t got the plums for this. :fearful:

I suppose both of them are better than the ubiquitous stock guitar/ukelele tunes.

1 Like

Geekery warning: I think the air traffic you can see flying east to west (right to left on the screen) at 1:30 is flying the INYOE transition on the DYAMD3 arrival into the Bay Area. The north south traffic to the right side is traffic to and from points north (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) and SoCal.

Well Geeked, Sir!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.