Watch: A top-down juggling act

Originally published at: Watch: A top-down juggling act | Boing Boing

8 Likes

pretty cool, i wonder what 3 items looks like? 4 is the ‘weird’ amount to juggle.

2 Likes

I had to stop and try to think about what juggling four balls looks like normally.
Luckily, she’s got a video for that:

But she also has top-down videos of juggling other numbers of items. The three balls looks even weirder, but she’s also doing fancier juggling there:

16 Likes

Taylor Tries is awesome.

4 Likes
4 Likes

It’s much cooler from below, in person, where you’re thinking about these objects coming down on your face.

(That’s me on top, btw; we used to have the world record in this)

19 Likes

Needs a “wonderful things” tag.

5 Likes

Dangit she’s good. Now I have to try that over-the-shoulder flourish, hoping I don’t bean anyone when I get it wrong.

2 Likes

I want to see four gopros juggled and get their perspective shown on a four panel video.

2 Likes

This perspective really brings out just how controlled and stable the tosses are in the hands of a really good juggler. The hovering and slight enlargement and shrinking of the balls is so surreal…

7 Likes

Looks like the over-the-top videos were shot from high cameras with long lenses. This tends to compress the motion so the balls look like they aren’t changing size. This is like if you move forward 10 feet when you’re 100 ft from the camera vs. the same motion when 20 ft from the camera. In the former, the perceived size of the person barely changes while in the latter, his perceived size doubles.

3 Likes

Claude Shannon, founding brain of the field of information theory, also loved juggling and derived the formula for the maximum number of objects one could juggle in a delightful paper.

B = (F + D) H /(V + D)

F = Flight time - how long a ball is in the air
D = Dwell time - how long a ball is held in a hand
H = number of hands
V = Vacant time - how long a hand is empty
B = number of balls being juggled

10 Likes

Indeed, Shannon not only built the first juggling robot, but he had an air hockey table put at a slant on which one could juggle in low gravity! Of course he also built computers that would compute in Roman numerals in hardware so this was hardly his most frivolous pursuit.

6 Likes

Here’s three, just one panel

13 Likes

That was less disorienting than I expected.

7 Likes

thx! :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.