Watch a tree get shredded by a lightning bolt

Yup, referring to exactly that! :smiley:

No tuning should be needed. An intense pulse discharge should be enough.

Because making a rocket on a wire in one’s garage is easier than cobbling together a functional EPFCG of comparable power? :stuck_out_tongue:

For lower-grade pulsed power, and scale more available for non-institutional experimentation, check also these:
Explosive-driven ferroelectric generator - Wikipedia
Explosive-driven ferromagnetic generator - Wikipedia
(I wrote these two some ages ago. Should take a look again and expand…)

2 Likes

It’s an induced voltage spike in the camera’s audio circuits, not sound. I don’t know why it’s slightly delayed, maybe that’s just a function of the video compression. The clicks that lightning cause on radio receivers can be used to triangulate lightning location. See http://www.blitzortung.org/en/page_0/index.php

1 Like

1 Like

Possibly caused by something flammable in contact with metal oriented perpendicular to the ground discharge. Voltage from a strike decreases on the ground over distance – think of it like ripples from a stone thrown into a pond. The voltage decreases drastically with distance, somewhat concentrically.

Anything that provides a conductive path from closer to further from the strike - the legs of a metal table for example, depending on their orientation - can provide a short circuit which could fry something on or touching it.

An animal or a person standing with more than one foot on the ground can provide the same situation. The orientation of the position of their feet/hooves/paws with respect to the ‘ripples’ can determine their fate and sometimes spares or fells individuals in (what appear to be) random ways. Anecdotally, I’ve heard of a case where someone on horseback (as well as the horse) were killed while the person leading the horse was unhurt.

2 Likes

That’s what happens when you don’t produce figs.

3 Likes

Might as well drop this here before the thread closes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.