Watch a Weevil drill a hole in an Acorn

Originally published at: Watch a Weevil drill a hole in an Acorn | Boing Boing

3 Likes

You know it would be much easier to train a Weevil to be an astronaut to drill a hole than it would be to train an astronaut to be a driller

11 Likes

Weevel’s look like Studio Ghibli took over evolution for a little while.

9 Likes

What? I’m clearly missing some reference or context here. Care to explain your joke?

Me, I just came here to say that the footwork of that weevil makes me think it would be an excellent boulderer. Keeping your footing on a smooth sloper like that isn’t easy! Then again having six legs might be giving it a leg (or four) up in that regard.

5 Likes

It’s a major plot point of the Michael Bay blockbuster “Armageddon.” If you’re not familiar with it, don’t bother watching it. Watch “Deep Impact” instead.

7 Likes

I like them both but yes, a reference to that movie

7 Likes
2 Likes

I was today-years-old when I learned what a weevil looks like. Thanks, Boing Boing!

In my defense, I was born and raised still live in suburban Detroit and knowing how to spot a weevil has never been a concern.

5 Likes

Just take care to not imagining them sneaking in to drill into your teeth while you sleep; that’s very uncomfortable.

3 Likes

Weevils are a very diverse superfamily, the ones that eat acorns are different than the ones that live in pantries off flour or such. It is odd to think that a tiny critter can slow the spread of oak forests.

8 Likes

They’re also very diverse in size, which means that if you have two or more specimens, it’s always possible to choose the lesser of two weevils.

14 Likes

It’s Weevil Time! Boots and snoots!

5 Likes

They definitely missed the boat by not calling them the boot-snoot beetles.

3 Likes

Are you saying it’s the lesser of two weevils?

Edit: I somehow missed @Purplecat already making this joke. I’ll walk myself off the plank.

5 Likes

I love how we’ve gone from acorn-drilling weevils through Michael Bay to Russel Crowe in Master and Commander and suddenly we’re right back with the weevils. This thread gets a gold star!

4 Likes

Came for this reference; leaving satisfied. :100:

3 Likes

But is it safe?

3 Likes

It strikes me as the kind of visual joke that could be used in an old episode of The Flintstones.

3 Likes

Snoots and Boots! Snoots and Boots!

(reddit r/whatbugisthis)

1 Like

3 Likes