Watch a WWII plane pick up a man and a sheep while flying at full speed

[Read the post]

“Mother Bird, this is Baby Bird. Come in, over.”
“Go ahead, Baby Bird.”
“Yeah, that idea you had about picking me up with a plane? France is only a few hundred miles away. I think I can walk it. Over.”
“Baby Bird. You said one of your legs is broken.”
“I’ve figured out a good limp. Over and out.”

That actually looks kinda fun.

This looks so unbelievably fun! By the time they got me into the plane, I’d be too turned on to report properly.

I’ll be in my bunk.

The Bible is true:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as the air force divides the sheep from the goats:

You know that’s a very, very good cigarette he’s smoking. The best cigarettes are all about circumstance not tobacco.

Nobody else remembers this being used in the Green Berets movie?

A friend of mine was extracted from a mission in this manner. He says you always vomit.

I fell 8,000 feet on to a pile of jagged rocks. Of course folks were tougher in those days. I was jitterbuggin’ that very night.

If I could forgo going through the TSA bullshit, I would use this method to fly.

The technique was further developed into the [Fulton Surface To Air Recover System][1].
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

What amazes me most is the way they get reeled in at the end.

Don’t you think it looks like it’s only a matter of a few more attempts before someone gets his neck broken?

Also, if they can’t winch you in the landing is going to be a real bummer.

it was a Fulton Skyhook, really cool used balloons to get airborne and then picked up by a C-121C-47 which had a pickup V attachment in front and a special winching mechanism, used to extract spies and commandos.
There is also STABO which works like this video but saner, snapping in to a rope dropped by hovering helicopters which then fly away with the dangling pickup.

(edit)
Sorry Tropo, had not gotten to the bottom of the thread.

This is how they swap banners for airplane advertising.

Stupid Gay Marriage.

WWII planes picking up men and sheep. We were warned about this.

The book Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff tells the story of a WW2 rescue from deepest New Guinea of several people using this technique. Picture this done Giligan’s Island style.

“Baa. Baa, baa, baaa. Ba – FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!”

So this is the rapture?

He says you always vomit.

Before, after or during?

From that wikipedia link:

Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.