Watch: Adorable capybara can't get enough of this scratchy massage

Originally published at: Watch: Adorable capybara can't get enough of this scratchy massage | Boing Boing

8 Likes

It’s weird how some animals seem to desire unlimited deep scratching, yet haven’t evolved to be able to do it to themselves. Like cows with those brush thingies they like, or cats who want you to scrunch their ears like tin foil indefinitely.

6 Likes

We always desire and treasure those things that we can never or rarely have, scratches included. Stuff you can easily do for yourself isn’t valued.

3 Likes

Shudder. Giant rat. Dinner. In that order.

2 Likes

Speak for yourself.

2 Likes

Yes, that makes me wonder if providing cats with ear scrunches is in some way like providing them with heroin.

Buddha (for example) teaches that to desire is to suffer, and animals are presumed to have Buddha nature; they are born with exactly the right amount of ability to scrunch their own ears, and by providing them with excessive scrunches perhaps we are only teaching them a desire that cannot be fulfilled. I must go at once to a mountain to meditate upon this.

8 Likes

Aw, what a cutie!

:astonished:

4 Likes

If only we could all access our own inner Cabybara. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :woozy_face: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Those teeth are… a disturbingly lot of tooth.

6 Likes

OMG that sound. Like water going down a drain.

3 Likes

Maybe it is a grooming activity in their groups.

3 Likes

1st, I :purple_heart: capybaras. Second, this one (and my cat) really likes skritches under the chin, which is a difficult place to reach for the animal. Third, mom cats and, I assume, momcapybaras, groom their young ones, which feels good, it still feels good when we humans simulate it. That is all.

5 Likes

Well, capys are rodents. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Capybara Lodge Meetings Look Chill AF

5 Likes

6 Likes

That will escalate

3 Likes

The Finnish word for rodent is “jyrsijä”, literally “gnawer”. It fits them quite well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My neighbourhood’s cats keep the foxes away.

3 Likes

Those are truly I.O.U.S. (incisors of unusual size).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.