Watch all of the classic 1980s episodes of Ray Bradbury Theater free on YouTube

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/22/watch-all-of-the-classic-1980s.html

1 Like

I don’t suppose anyone reading this recalls the TV series based on Vonnegut’s “Welcome to the Monkey House” and Dahl’s “Tales of the Unexpected” ? Both seem to be almost entirely forgotten compared to the programming of Bradbury and Hitchcock.

3 Likes

That is available on DVD.
And if the used prices are too much I am sure there are other means by now.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought of them if you hadn’t mentioned them but, yes, I do remember both. In particular I got a real kick out of the TV version of Dahl’s story “The Landlady” which leaves absolutely no doubt as to why the two gentlemen upstairs have stayed so long.

Although sometimes the fun with Dahl’s darker stories is the subtlety, such as the ending of “The Way Up To Heaven”.

2 Likes

Also, it’s Bradbury’s birthday today!

6 Likes

Okay, I will.

3 Likes

That elevator looks familiar. Is that… the Bradbury building?

Just read this quote:

T> he problem in our country isn’t with books being banned, but with people no longer reading. … You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. -Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 Aug 1920-2012)

2 Likes

Rod Serling really wanted Bradbury as a contributor to The Twilight Zone. He wrote up a number of treatments, but unfortunately none of them were producible under the show’s budget. They were filled with amazing sets and props that were just too complex. If you take a look at the one episode they filmed based on a Bradbury piece, I Sing the Body Electric, what should have been a fantastical shop where you can design your own robot, was simply rendered on a blacked-out set, with a few spotlights.

1 Like

Well, got through the first six episodes last night. I really liked Marionettes, Inc and the Crowd especially, but I was also very happy to see some of the actors. Shatner actually does a great job in the Playground, Leslie Nielson was great in Marionettes.

I sort of wish those opening bits with Ray Bradbury weren’t there.

Also, The Town Where No One Got Off totally lives up to it’s name. As far as I could tell, no one got off during that episode. /prurient

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.