Watch: An oblivious truck pushes a car down a freeway while other stunned drivers try to stop it

“I am not stopping this truck until you moderate your language…”

10 Likes

Ahh… I don’t want to rain shit on your parade but perhaps you mean an oblivious truck driver
Unless this story is really about a malicious driverless truck???

3 Likes

This is not a unique event.

2010:

2014:

2019:

2020: Youtuber’s attempt to reconstruct tthe 2019 iincident.

4 Likes

So, really, How’s my driving, then?

How come it’s always the UK? Something about our roads? trucks? drivers?

“Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.” Jim Morrison

1 Like

Because I used the word “lorry” in my search criteria?

2 Likes

That’s nothin’!

5 Likes

You could maybe get the driver’s attention by pulling in front of him and slowing down (a “brake check”). Then again that might not be a good idea.

If they had started off parked, they would have had to have driven from city streets onto the motorway with the car in front, making various turns, stopping, etc., with the car stuck to the truck, not noticing and no one stopping them, which becomes increasingly improbable.

2 Likes

OTOH this form of travel does give the pushed vehicle fantastic mileage - till the tires shred.

1 Like

Can’t imagine it does much for the alignment, either. Or the side of the car, or…

2 Likes

I’m waiting for a company that sells a car with paint that looks like shit right off the lot.

‘You no longer have to worry about gravel chips, door dings, or side scrapes. This car already looks like crap so you don’t have that stress of keeping it clean or worrying about where you park.”

3 Likes

He’s done it once before. Will he go for a twofer?

1 Like

At a bike show I went to, the police had a truck cab that you could climb into and learn just how much visibility the driver has.
At one point I sat in the cab and thought the view was clear and on getting out, there was about 15 bikes in various positions around the cab.
It was an important lesson to me, always assume that the driver cannot see me and I need to be extra careful around trucks.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I would argue the opposite- every car driver should spend a day in a tractor trailer. I’m willing to bet the stats back up that 90% of car/truck incidents are the car’s fault. It’s the same logic for why sailboats always have right of way over power boats.

I’ve spent my life around big machinery, and while never having driven a big rig, I have driven machines sufficiently similar in basic limitations of acceleration, turning, visibility, and braking to know that most people have no idea how limited these are in a truck.

Look at any truck on the highway and you will see them getting cut off five or six times a minute. People tailgate them, then get mad when they can’t double-clutch their 80,000 pounds up through 18 gears and two final drives fast enough for their liking in their Tesla.

If anyone takes one thing away from this post, make it this- that big space trucks leave in front is not your sweet moment to get that lane you want. It’s so they don’t kill you if they need to stop, and so they can absorb traffic compression springs because every change in velocity requires four double-clutched gear changes. You can not appreciate how much work that is if you haven’t done it.

Okay, make it three takeaways- don’t follow closer than where you can see the truck’s side mirrors, and don’t pass on the right (in left-hand-drive countries).

I was once on an icy downhill at highway speed, where someone entered slowly from a side road without looking. They put me in the position of choosing between obliterating their car in a way that hopefully wouldn’t hurt them, or killing the three horses I was hauling. Luckily they eventually took the time to look up and reversed back out of the road. I think the full 30 seconds I leaned on the horn helped some.

5 Likes

This is going to be less likely to happen with the next generation of lorries, thanks to new design standards.

I can’t find any comparison between the European and North American style of cabs.

3 Likes

maybe :slight_smile: