An empty pickup truck just sits on a highway — until a semi comes along and obliterates it (video)

Originally published at: An empty pickup truck just sits on a highway — until a semi comes along and obliterates it (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Hey, sorry, buddy. Didn’t see you there.

11 Likes

I mean… yeah, that’s a bad place to park a pickup. But – and CDL folks feel free to jump in here and tell me that I’m off base – it sure seems like that semi had plenty of time to notice and avoid the pickup, or take some kind of emergency action. I don’t even see an appreciable change in speed on the part of the semi. (At least, not until the collision happens.)

43 Likes

That’s an extreme case of SMIDSY, but somehow I don’t think bicyclists or motorcyclists would be in the least surprised.

21 Likes

Ope, sorry

4 Likes

Transformers blooper reel?

Spider

12 Likes

Yeah, zilch. Nada.

8 Likes

There’s at least 10 white lines between the trucks at the beginning of the video, which is ~400 feet of highway. Surely a commercial driver wouldn’t SMIDSY the vehicles they are trained to be on the lookout for in every single driving circumstance that badly, unless there was some other factor at play. The driver seems to be driving pretty much dead straight, so I don’t think they were distracted by their phone or anything. I just have no clue.

6 Likes

Did they leave a note on the windshield?

23 Likes

Could have been watching a movie or something in the cab / dash. There are a lot of truckers who do extremely distracting things because they assume that they’ve been doing this so long and drive 80 hours a week or whatever and are professionals. Whatever it was, it had him fully distracted, which leads me to believe he was doing something that had his eyes off the road.

15 Likes

Wow, one of the few times were a car (truck) actually bursts into flames after an accident.

25 Likes

Is that what they are calling it these days?

6 Likes

Hahahaha no I mean quite literally watching a movie.

They make mounts that can do everything from phones to tablets to small form factor flat panel TVs in semi dash boards.

7 Likes

Michael Bay could not be reached for comment. His whereabouts at the time are unknown.

17 Likes

OK, “boomer”.

4 Likes

I was going to say there must be some video of the pickup driver abandoning the vehicle from this vantage, but then I wonder why the camera is zooming and panning to follow the action, and think that maybe this was filmed by the driver of the pickup from a nearby overpass. It’s a good thing the driver of the second semi was paying attention, if it kept going things could have gotten a lot messier!

3 Likes

Fire Oops GIF

7 Likes

That’s the first thing I remarked on. I almost wonder if there was more combustible material involved than just the usual fuel in the tank.

My immediate second thought after the first.

6 Likes

Used to see truckers reading the Miami Herald on I-75 during my morning commute.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that nobody on the scene at the time would have known that the flaming pickup truck wreckage was empty.

7 Likes