Truck driver captures footage of another truck tipping over during whiteout

Originally published at: Truck driver captures footage of another truck tipping over during whiteout | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Blimey, I hope the driver was risking their life to deliver something important, and not just a load of rubber ducks.

10 Likes

giphy-3 4

8 Likes

You got something against people keeping the economy going? People NEED those rubber ducks!

10 Likes

This was just part of a 70-vehicle pileup in Alberta three days ago.

7 Likes

Hell’s teeth, that looks like a frosty version of the Basra Road.

5 Likes

The last thing I’d want as I’m climbing out of the wreckage of my overturned truck is a guy shoving his phone in my face for his youtube channel.

6 Likes

I wonder if this guy was traveling too fast for the conditions, saw the truck in front of him too late to brake properly and then went into a skid made worse by the high wind. He sure passed him going much faster than the guy filming.

ETA: It also looks like his trailer is already skidding off the shoulder by the time he passes. It may not have even been the high wind that toppled him, but skidding and the trailer going off the shoulder embankment.

2 Likes

Driver was remarkably calm.

Years ago I used to commute in a Datsun B-210 over 7,352-foot Monument Hill between Denver and Colorado Springs. Some mornings I’d come over the crest and see semis and cars in the ditch up and down the road on both sides, and maybe a couple in the median. Good times!

3 Likes

The guy filming is driving in those conditions and still illegally using his phone? What the fuck is wrong with people?

1 Like

How much time do you have?

10 Likes

Looking at the thumbnail for his latest upcoming video, it looks like he just wears a gopro on a hat while he’s driving.

5 Likes

Something I remember from driving in that weather was - you never stop. If you stop or pull off the road - someone is going to rear-end you. That was the wisdom pounded into my head as a kid.

2 Likes

I live pretty close. This was one of many many trucks that day, the whole Trans Canada Highway was closed for a while, which is something that happens in the mountains pretty regularly; much less so out here on the prairies.

The problem wasn’t the snow or road conditions, it was the wind. It was insane, did a lot of damage. (In fact his has blown up again today, gusts howling past my windows as I type, but we have less snow right now-- we usually have a windy spring, but this year is exceptional.)

Its actually surprisingly difficult to blow a semitrailer over, but a really really high cross wind can certainly push them off the road, where ground conditions make it alot a easier to fall over. The bit of road in question, which I have driven over a great many times, has huge (by international standards) shoulders, so pulling over, and then pulling over again to miss the other guy that pulled over, is usually quite doable. The problem is more that the highway is also quite elevated, which helps the wind keep the snow off; on the other hand this also makes the cross winds all the fiercer.

3 Likes

I have sort of seen this - was driving on 880 in Oakland south past the Colosseum in a torrential downpour, I was 2 lanes from the fast lane probably doing about 30 and trying to slow, the road was pretty empty, stupidity in a pickup truck passed my doing 50+ in the fast lane, as he passed me he lost it and spun across the entire road, I caught his eye as he crossed my lane close in front of me, going backwards … luckily I managed to avoid the reflex of hitting the brakes or I’d have followed him

1 Like

A friend used to have one of the hatchbacks with the soccerball hubcaps. A good looking car.

3 Likes

I got that impression from the video; it seemed like it was moving more like a head-mount than a handheld.

“A good looking car.”

Ooh, you are right. It looks a bit like a mini Mustang, to my uncultured eyes; though, I think, it looks better without those weird, high and bulky fenders that it appears the American model was fitted with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.