Video of a disastrous Interstate pile-up as it happened

Originally published at: Video of a disastrous Interstate pile-up as it happened | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Just came down the mountain from Big Bear, the snow was so thick that I plowed with the front tires all the way down the hill. Late Winter storms suck, veggies need to be covered before the storm hits us.

15 Likes

Those speeds in zero visibility on snowy roads? I sincerely hope nobody died or was seriously injured, but other than that, this is sheer recklessness on the part of everybody involved. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out most of them didn’t even have snow tires. Nobody should be going anywhere near those speeds in those conditions. Period.

22 Likes

That was my first thought, too. This is madness, and completely avoidable. (The last report I saw said five dead so far.)

15 Likes

Holy Shit.

7 Likes

When it comes to bad conditions on the road, people over estimate how far they can really see, and how fast they can stop. :confused: Scary stuff when it gets that bad.

In the future when cars can talk to each other, they could at least alert cars up the road of the accident ahead to slow down and stop before it gets too bad.

8 Likes

that narration was a treat

3 Likes

Good grief.

1 Like

Wow, I just drove that exact route over the weekend and we had some snow squalls, but luckily nothing near this intense.

6 Likes

It has become an epic disaster and keeps getting worse it seems. 60 cars, at least 3 dead in this report. Absolutely terrifying and terrible.

15 Likes

What was so striking to me about the video was that for its entire nearly two and a half minute runtime there was a nearly continuous sound of cars and trucks smashing into the pile.

9 Likes

No visibility, terrible conditions? No problem I have a 4x4, I will continue to drive as if it is a dry summer day.

10 Likes

The fire looked like it might be a tanker truck. That’s real bed news

5 Likes

and I got freezing rain down as the killer…

1 Like

This always makes we wonder … why can’t drivers talk to each other now?

6 Likes

These have always been happening, but we see them on YouTube et al a lot more. I think the lesson is get your car off the road and into the bushes, even if you have to pay for extrication. If you can’t do that, get your arse off the road and into the bushes, and always dress for the weather, so it’s not too bad in the bushes. But if you really learned anything, you aren’t out there in the first place, when you know damn well conditions are right on the edge.

7 Likes

Right? That had me thinking that I would have walked or run into the woods behind the guy filming, and just keep going, away from that splody-looking tanker truck.

8 Likes

Sometimes the conditions can hit out of nowhere, but that should only affect a few vehicles if people are driving carefully. What I see here, totally as expected, are mostly truck drivers barrelling along as if visibility is normal.

5 Likes

You only have to imagine the kind of things drivers would say to each other to realize why no one’s been in any hurry to implement any kind of driver-to-driver communication. The best thing that could happen would be increased distraction. More likely, you’d get a cumulative road rage death toll that would make the COVID statistics look like a rounding error.

On another note, this video has me strongly conflicted. I’d be torn between the conflicting impulses to (a) keep filming, (b) try to help the injured, or (c) run away as far and fast as possible. I think the videographer made a smart decision not to wade into that mess until the rain of hurtling metal slowed to a gentle patter.

3 Likes

Yeah - we got an emergency snow squall notification all over the state yesterday telling everyone to stay home and get off the road if you can High winds, whiteout & plunging temps. The wind looked pretty fierce from the safety of my home.

Unfortunately- if you’re already on the highway or turnpike- you’re in real trouble.

6 Likes