Cars slowly sliding and colliding on a Montreal hill

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/06/cars-slowly-sliding-and-collid.html

4 Likes

Can’t. Stop. Watching. This.

What the hell is wrong with me?

18 Likes

It’s that time of year. Ice is an unforgiving bastard.

5 Likes

This is a city that knows Winter and how to drive in it. The municipality generally does a rather good job of keeping the streets safe during the season, but every once and awhile we get caught with our pants down, and that morning on Beaver Hall was one of them.

10 Likes

I live a few hours away, and they were predicting only 3-5 cm (1-2"). We actually got 12cm. (about 5").

Generally, cities that get this kind of snow (like Montréal) are good at dealing with it, but like you said, this storm caught us all a bit off-guard.

6 Likes

I laughed (and laughed). I’m terrible. But the whole “here comes the plow, they’re saved!” feeling that was transformed into something else really put me over the edge.

8 Likes

The shovelbrake has proven ineffective.

8 Likes

That was amusing :slight_smile:

One question: Rather than just following their fellow motorists down the slidey hill of death, why didn’t the police car just park at the top and stop other traffic?

6 Likes

In my experience, Montrealers are generally pretty good winter drivers.

4 Likes

That WAS the police car parking at the top of the hill…then the middle…Oh, crap!

10 Likes

Gardez comment ça glisse!

2 Likes

The snow plow spreads salt the whole way down. If it had spun around it may have been able to save itself.

5 Likes

Seeing all the cars with locked brakes reminds me just how difficult it is to NOT instinctively keep pressing the brake pedal down harder.

5 Likes

Icy conditions on an inclined road. There are few things in life that make you feel so helpless. Had this happen to me years ago when I’d had my driver’s license for only 3 or 4 months. I’ve been smart and lucky enough to avoid it since.

3 Likes

Somehow relevant:

1 Like

Sweep!
Sweep!
SWEEP!!

14 Likes

That one double-raise where they hit the bus into the intersection was a very nice shot.

6 Likes

Anybody have Yakkety Sax slow and in a minor key?

7 Likes

This looks like a job for the Canadia Curling team!

3 Likes

That’s a million pounds Canadian of municipal property damage right there.

2 Likes