Enjoy this truck calmly sliding away on the ice

Originally published at: Enjoy this truck calmly sliding away on the ice | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Dear lord. If the roads are like this where you live stay home! There’s no version of this in which you gain control. It seems like the universe keeps sending us signals this year to just chill out and our response is “but we need corn dogs!”

ETA: For context:

9 Likes

Happens to the best of us, even up here in the ice cold Great White North. Driven in winter for over 32 years with only one actual accident. I was on the highway in heavy traffic during a blizzard, so no one was going anywhere fast. A guy in the next lane somehow lost control, slowly spun around and drifted towards me. Since there was nowhere for me to move, I watch serenely as he slowly drifted towards me, smacking the front corner of his car into the side of mine.

8 Likes

What’s the squeak heard about halfway through the slide? Who’s home security cameras capture audio?

2 Likes

Mine get some amazing stuff.

3 Likes

We’re all getting around as best we can.

late-for-mee4ting_L1OhZUcZ_8z3N

17 Likes

Slow motion collisions are surreal. I’ve had a few where I’ve spun out out of control and have watched myself drift towards a guard rail. It’s like, “Welp, nothing I can do now but see how this pans out [sips coffee]. Gosh it sure is pretty out today [sips coffee]. I hope nobody drives around that corner anytime soon [finishes coffee]. I should get another coffee.”

10 Likes

Even in the north, ice on streets with a bit of a slope can cause problems: https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/dec/06/slow-motion-pile-up-of-cars-buses-and-trucks-in-snowy-montreal-video

6 Likes

Where did this happen?

Oh, thanks, Speech.

9 Likes

Often I rail against people driving too fast or otherwise unsafely on ice. Can’t fault someone for slowly backing out of their driveway.

2 Likes

A game of horseshoes!

4 Likes

Indeed I did, thank you.

Remember this gem from Seattle ~10 years ago. Don’t be like Bus. Be like Fire Truck. Sliding Cars in Seattle Snow on 11/22/10 - YouTube

5 Likes

Perhaps the rear tires rubbing against the curb?

A warning squeak as the driver’s sphincter tightens uncontrollably?

4 Likes

That was most satisfying. I hope nobody was hurt.

That gradient looked like it was getting less friendly as well… I hope this ended ok.

1 Like

My buddy who lives in Philly sent me video from his security camera of his Jeep Cherokee serenely parked in his driveway a few years back. As I watched there was a barely perceptible amount of movement that gradually accelerated until it slide backwards down the driveway into the street. Luckily the street had been treated and wasn’t icy so it stopped and luckily nobody hit it, but it had been parked for over an hour before it began moving!

2 Likes

Guessing the top of the ice it was parked on began to melt, making the ice more slippery.

Thought I’d give it the action music kick it deserves… best car chase ever!!