Incredible: Watch a woman nonchalantly step aside as out-of-control car barrels toward her

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/05/incredible-watch-a-woman-nonc.html

5 Likes

Time to go and play the lottery!

4 Likes

There’s a driver in the car, though. Doesn’t “out-of-control” mean unmanned? It’s being controlled, just really poorly.

3 Likes

On ice, control is illusory.

22 Likes

Ice is a hell’uv’a drug.

10 Likes

She was smart. If she had reacted in a more panicked way, she might have slipped and fallen where the car would hit her. Instead, she kept her head and her balance.

32 Likes

To be fair, it looks so cold she probably couldn’t sweat if she tried. Plus, the other alternative was stepping into the road. Well played, chilly lady!

6 Likes

Competent human with good situational awareness - no luck required!

10 Likes

Nonchalantly. Yes. That is what this is: she is now the new epitome of nonchalance.

3 Likes

Those are mad urban ninja skills.

8 Likes

Yeah, she must be from Boston/New York/Philly/Baltimore/DC/some city chock full of unsafe pedestrian conditions.

5 Likes

NINJA!!!

4 Likes

In the genre of Russian dashcam videos, there are (so I understand) aggregator channels that include voice over commentary of the action on screen.

Since some dashcam recordings include sound (from inside the car) the driver’s epithets can be included in the video.

Drivers whose vocalizations during a critical event reveal them to have not responded emotionally to the event sometimes get an “award” from the narrator of the aggregator channel.

The literal translation of the reward is (again supposedly) something like “rectum of steel.”

I’m confident this woman deserves that award.

4 Likes

Or maybe “Bullfighter.”

4 Likes

Bob Sagat once said that you could tell which videos were fakes because they were beautifully framed and steady. The camera on the lady is handheld… why is it pointing at her at that very moment? Why wasn’t the camera person recording the car out of control instead of the lady standing? Why did the camera stay so perfectly steady in such a crazy moment?

I’m not saying it is faked… oh wait, yes I am :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Given the annual motor vehicle fatality rate (in US for this example), it would appear that “control” isn’t applicable to cars or their drivers at all, ice or no ice.

3 Likes

If I had to guess, I’d say it’s surveillance video being re-recorded handheld from a monitor.

12 Likes

My strategy would have been to jump behind the utility poles.

2 Likes

I thought this same thing, and then… holy shit… they go down like nothing! I would have been killed.

6 Likes

In Soviet Russia, car drives you.

3 Likes