Watch: A nimble Florida trooper barely gets out of the way in dramatic hit and run

Originally published at: Watch: A nimble Florida trooper barely gets out of the way in dramatic hit and run | Boing Boing

8 Likes

200-1 5

15 Likes

Top marks for situational awareness.
Bonus points for wearing a mask.

20 Likes

Is this where you say: Florida man, what can’t you do?

1 Like

Where the heck did that white pickup truck come from?

8 Likes

I’m confused by the white truck that suddenly makes an appearance at the end - going the wrong direction. It seems to appear out of nowhere (it’s not visible - i.e. traveling with traffic - before the collision). Either it’s in front of the vehicle that gets hit, and gets pushed by that vehicle and turned around, unscathed, somehow (but that doesn’t seem quite right, given that it’s driving away), or it’s traveling down the road in the wrong direction, which is why the other truck suddenly stops (and crashes into the parked vehicle). That white truck could be the vehicle that “caused the crash” and then “fled the scene.”

Yeah, I keep watching the video, at 1/4 speed, trying to figure out where it comes from, and it doesn’t quite make sense.

4 Likes

They took the trouble to blur the pickup’s license plate, so I imagine they got a good read on it. Heh.

3 Likes

I don’t think the white truck was in front of the vehicle; you can see the white parts of the truck clearly through the parked car windshields as it passes through at the end, so you know it would be pretty visible if it had been there the whole time.

Best guess is that it cuts across the highway, and the silver truck happens to obscure its movement until after the crash.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s my assumption - though it would have to be traveling pretty straight down the road, and then swerving towards the end there, not just because it’s obscured by the parked vehicle, but because none of the other vehicles on the road (besides the one that crashes) seem to be reacting to it. Unless it’s cutting across the road in a diagonal that is not only obscured from view by the vehicle, but just after all the other traffic.

1 Like

The white truck is parked facing the hit suv. When the SUV is hit by the crazed pickup it pushes the white pickup back and into the traffic lane. Then it drives forward across the field of view. There the whole time

4 Likes

Did he only hear the truck coming? I’m not sure that explains his swift reaction, though I guess it’s possible.
Maybe he saw it in the wing mirror?

3 Likes

I believe there were 2 trucks trying to squeeze in one lane that may have clipped or swerved. When the silver truck crashes into the stopped vehicle, the other pickup has also lost control and spun around…he wasn’t stationary, there is too much kinetic movement going on…and then I imagine he drives off. Possible the one who may have caused the accident gets the least amount of damage here…then runs away.

2 Likes

Why did he keep going back over to the car? He had to dodge that pickup 4 times by my count.

5 Likes

yep,I think the white truck was trying to merge into the lane occupied by the silver truck and PIT manuevered himself. The screeching is probably Silver braking and white going sideways.
The white truck gets pushed past the accident sideways and heads out going against traffic.

1 Like

spider-sense-thinking

2 Likes

it’s not in the garden yet …seriously

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.