Watch as a 1200lb pumpkin is dropped from a crane

Originally published at: Watch as a 1200lb pumpkin is dropped from a crane | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Go to 1:29 minutes for the big moment.

6 Likes

Color me shocked the pool didn’t tear in half.

4 Likes

Good clean fun for the kids :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pumpkin go splash!

I hate it when these vids tease you with the countdown, then cut away for a bunch of boring preliminaries, forcing you to either watch the whole thing or scrub around to the money shot.

1 Like

I though The Smashing Pumpkins was from Oregon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this the first step in making a crowd-sized batch of Guy Fieri’s and Gallagher’s pumpkin soup?

That was a satisfying thud.

Whoever the pool manufacturer is needs to use this in their advertising to demonstrate its durability.

3 Likes

I don’t get why there were people standing near the pool, who then walked away for safety, only to miss seeing the thing they were probably meant to witness.

For the BBS set:

2 Likes

Was it just me who was slightly disappointed?

I was kind of expecting a huge gourdy explosion with chunks of rind tearing through the crowd, flipping pickup trucks and laying waste to half of the county.

I really shouldn’t base all my expectations on Gerry Anderson series.

6 Likes

Stand by for action!

1 Like

No. Dropping into water was not what was expected, and hardly spectacular. Boooo!

1 Like

I have a hunch Mark Rober would have made this far more spectacular (and a much, much longer vid!).

I was there in person, coincidentally. I just happened to bring my girls to Bauman’s farm that day and we were pulling into the parking lot when my 14-year-old asked “Why is there a big crane with a drone flying over it?”

I rolled down the windows and stopped the car and we watched from 150 feet away.

3 Likes

It would have been more satisfying without the pool. 1200 pounds of shattered pumpkin and the crowd covered in goop. Win win.

3 Likes

Girl blew it by turning around to watch the xplosion at last second.

Isn’t that really a gourd instead of strictly a pumpkin, too?

Just in case you need to do such at home from time to time

1 Like

No no no. First you freeze the pumpkin for a day and a half in liquid nitrogen, then you drop it off Caltech’s tallest building (a whopping eight stories!) which used to be named Millikan Library, to perform the Millikan Pumpkin Drop Experiment, at midnight on Hallowe’en. About one year in four (i.e. about once while you’re a student) it triboluminesces upon impact, much like when squishing Wint-O-Green Lifesavers with pliers in a darkened bathroom’s sink.

2 Likes