Timelapse video of giant pumpkin growing to 1223 pounds

Originally published at: Timelapse video of giant pumpkin growing to 1223 pounds | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Impressive, particularly because when I tried something similar all I got was a spaghetti-thin stem, three leaves and no gourd whatsoever. Ah well.
And then what is left to do but… this:

all hail our wet, paddling pumpkin overlords and ladies!

15 Likes

I stopped at 500 pounds, I kind’a know how it ends.

6 Likes

That must be the most sincere pumpkin patch ever!

11 Likes

A little thrill when the VF-1S Valkyrie transformed and flew off. Twice! Nice little homage to Macross/Robotech there. :grin:

8 Likes

I know nothing about the giant pumpkin process specifically, but I wonder why they don’t trim back excessive off-branches to force growth to the one with the massive pumpkin on it.

And I had to laugh at the “life finds a way” moment when the plant burst out of the well-intentioned greenhouse section. “I’m just gonna put it…over here”.

9 Likes

14 Likes

I had to share this video with my brother. When we were younger he would scour ebay for seeds for sale from these giant pumpkins. The people who grow them actually make quite a profit from the seeds as others try to grow record gourds. We would get pretty enormous pumpkins in our garden, but none of them were pampered so that they would get more than the few hundred pound mark.

My brother’s ultimate goal was to get a pumpkin large enough to hollow out and use on a “canoeing” trip down the river with his friends, but he never got one large enough or the right shape where it would float well.

10 Likes

Let’s hope so. Great Pumpkins are probably much nicer than Grand Pumpkins…

5 Likes

From our friends over at The Pampered Gourd…

2 Likes

Just shared this with a decorative gourd motherfucker friend of mine!

I’ll ask my mate but I would have thought they pruned all other fruit to concentrate all the energy produced by those giant leaves into one huge fruit. Pruning the leaves wouldn’t have the same effect.

7 Likes

Yes, roots need leaves and fruit needs roots (or something like that) but with all other fruit removed all fruiting energy goes into the one.

And when I were a lad, me, my brother, my ma and pa, and two other families of four would live in a pumpkin that size and think ourselves lucky.

7 Likes

Coming of the Gourd, Great Pumpkin, Halloween

11 Likes

Unknown-9

4 Likes

Bob and Jo Liggett shown with their 1964LB 2014 Pumpkin Show Winner - Circleville, Ohio Pumpkin Festival

Circleville Pumpkin Show “Winky” Painted Pewter Charm

I ordered a couple of these charms, one for my BFF and one for me. They’re adorable and affordable.

3 Likes

Mom presented an amazing pumpkin pie for dessert one family (ugh) Thanksgiving dinner. Her nasty sister was amazed, and asked her for the recipe. Mom replied, “Well, first you buy Luxury Pie Pumpkin seeds…” and everyone was even more amazed. It’s an Heirloom type, and well worth searching for.

1 Like

Well I guess it’s slightly more interesting than watching the grass grow

1 Like

4 Likes

1223 pounds is half the weight of no. 10 in the top 10 heaviest pumpkins ever.

It’s a fanatical thing - see how the top 10 has four entries from two sets of the same growers.

The Paton brothers are obsessed with breaking the world record.

2 Likes

These saggy mega-pumpkins have a sad look to them.

2 Likes