Watch: cat breaks the Guinness world record for doing the most tricks in a minute

Originally published at: Watch: cat breaks the Guinness world record for doing the most tricks in a minute | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Looks to me like the cat trained the human extremely well.

18 Likes

Pfft. When I had cats they could do 50 tricks in one minute. Of course, they were all a variant of “stay, stay again, keep staying…”

6 Likes

For many of those tricks, to say they were actually “performed” is pretty generous. I had to go back a few times on several of them just to be able to say “huh - yeah, I guess the cat sorta did that”.

11 Likes

I know cats. This is CGI

5 Likes

Probably lots of well-trained kitties out there thanks to COVID.

4 Likes

My cat’s schedule is way too full of cuddling to learn tricks.

8 Likes

I know CGI. That is a hedgehog.

5 Likes

Wow. That was some weak sauce. I mean, sure, I expected the world record for tricks performed by a cat in a minute to be, maybe, 2, but still, a lot of those weren’t tricks. “Touch nose to target”? Really? You mean sniff? Meh.

9 Likes

That’s how you do it. Let them think they’re training you.

3 Likes

Which one is the cat?

That cat is just phoning it in. I’ve seen better left paw crosses at the animal shelter.

3 Likes

Unconvincing - the subtitles were added after the event, and it’s not clear that the cat was following any pre-specified instructions. This seems to be the cat-video version of a well known statistical error called ‘harking’ - hypothesizing after results are known.

6 Likes

Plus there was stuff like “walk backwards” followed by “walk forwards” with “stop” crammed in there and called a trick in between. And if walking onto the red carpet is a trick, then I could shatter this record with a cat and a checkerboard floor.

1 Like

You folks are deeply cynical. If this is indeed a legitimate record, the tricks would have been enumerated in advance, carried out in order, and an objective witness would be present. I will go with “well done Alexis!” until proved otherwise.

4 Likes

Knowing what cats are capable of, I was kinds hoping for something more like this:

But I get that the on-demand tricks are a big deal :wink:

6 Likes

Wait, “touch target with nose” counts as a cat trick? Then every cat is a genius.

And I’d be way more impressed by a cat that could be trained to NOT look left and right at a moving target.

3 Likes

More like a ‘Guinness world record for making up the most tricks in a minute while playing with a cat’

3 Likes

My mother had a cat once who would come sit down in the living room to masturbate, whacking his dick with his right paw, his eyes half open and his mouth open, tongue hanging out, when guests where over. That was a pretty neat trick.

1 Like

Hence, the epic soundtrack. Keeps things moving. Like Elmer Bernstein’s soundtrack for The Magnificent Seven; guys sitting on horses and talking to each other would be like watching a hooman play pattycake with a puss.