Watch: Documentary about hidden sugars in foods

Weird… all I see when I look at that is someone yelling, “Push!”

1 Like

Because they succumbed to the lure of it some nine months previously?

It’s responsible for promoting the end stage of labor. The head hits the cervix and more oxytocin is secreted making more contractions happen, releasing more oxytocin, making more contractions… you see where this is headed.

Edit: No pun intended.

1 Like

It’s also involved with the social attraction, pair bonding, and what follows, that got you to that place. :slightly_smiling: Different perspectives we have!

1 Like

You’re missing the point…take one large navel orange - squeeze it and you might yield about 2 oz of juice. That one orange contains approx. 23 grams of sugar (6 tsp) and about 132 calories (92 calories from sugar).

An 8 oz glass of Minute Maid OJ contains about the same amount of sugar (24gr) and the same number of calories (110/96) as one large orange.

Now try eating 4 large oranges one after the other. Same amount of juice (8oz) but chances are you’re going to feel pretty full whereas 8 oz of OJ is barely noticeable. Chances are you’ll have 2 or 3 glasses of OJ without thinking about it but you’d never sit down and eat 8-12 oranges all at once.

More importantly, one orange has about 3.1 grams of fiber whereas a glass of OJ has maybe .5 grams. By drinking your OJ you’re flooding your system with a large dose of fructose and sucrose all at once. Insulin spikes in order to deal with it and your bloodsugar rises until it can be processed by the liver. By eating the whole orange, the sugar uptake is slowed because your digestion system has to deal with the fiber and the insulin release is far more gradual and spread out over time.

Worse yet, you think you’re being “healthy” by drinking OJ but you’re really not getting much of the nutritional benefits of the orange - just the sugar (and vitamin C of course).

1 Like

I wouldn’t, but that’s because I know that the appropriate serving size is 4oz. Sure most people don’t know that, which is part of the portion size ignorance epidemic on the one hand and the low cost of food because we exploit Mexican labor on the other. I will point out that just because you can’t squeeze more than 2 oz of juice, it doesn’t mean that it only contains 2 oz of juice. That figure is reported for people making orange juice. I’m talking about eating an orange, not the juice from pressing. I’m not going to take you through the fun ride I just had trying to get this information, but an orange that you actually consume and digest has closer to 5-6 oz of juice. So a few oranges consumed whole are closer to the several cups people tend to drink. I’ve easily eaten that many oranges in a day, but that’s me and not a random population sample. I’m sure people are getting more orange juice in their system than they need all over America.

Meanwhile unless you’re swallowing that orange whole, it really doesn’t make one bit of difference how you got that juice in there. Your stomach and intestines don’t “know” that you have orange fiber in there and go, “Hold the phone! Gotta digest this fiber with the juice.” I’m not a human biologist, but I’m pretty sure that the absorption of orange juice is also going to depend on things like whether you have anything else in your stomach, what it is, if it is prone to absorbing liquids, etc. etc. Why not drink orange juice with whole wheat toast? That has fiber. It’s a more complex problem in fact than you are making it out to be.

All of this is driving down to my original point: Look, you said it was concentrated. It isn’t. It’s really that simple. In your most recent reply, you changed your mind about whether a cup or a bottle is the product of dozen oranges. (Though I can give you the benefit of the doubt and say you meant an 8 oz. bottle, those certainly exist.) If you said something other than what you meant, which happens, that’s one thing, but don’t pretend you didn’t say it.

All of that said, I’m not even sure I disagree with the movie. How can I be? I haven’t watched it yet. But I feel like evangelists, which you sort of admit you are, have a responsibility to be on point with facts. I’m not even saying you’re wrong to buy into this. Whatever “this” is, since I haven’t looked into it. All signs point to the trends I’ve observed in the genre, but I’ve been surprised before, I might be surprised again. But if the strongest arguments in the movie are like the orange juice one, then it’s probably not going to survive the level of scrutiny I’ve made it a habit of subjecting these things to. Not because I’m spiteful, but because I’ve learned through bitter experience that it’s so wrong so often, and I actually think these things are too important to be left in the hands of irresponsible filmmakers.

I hope you watch Fed Up and get back to us about it.

I think the word you’re getting hung up on is when I said concentrated. I didn’t mean concentrated as in FCOJ - I simply meant concentrated as a description for stuffing the sugar equivalent of a dozen oranges into a single (large) bottle which makes overconsumption much easier (and likely) than eating the raw fruits themselves. In no way did I mean to imply that this alters the nutritional composition of the juice. My apologies for the misunderstanding and I regret the word choice.

The fact is that approx 8oz of OJ = 1 large orange in terms of sugar (about 6 tsp). Most people do not limit themselves to just 8oz (your 4oz serving size notwithstanding) and 8oz of fluid is not enough for the body to feel full but most people probably do not eat more than a single raw orange in one sitting (again you may be atypical).

One serving of OJ (or 1 large orange) has between 80-100% of the recommended daily allowance of sugar (6-9 tsp). Most Americans consume upwards of 40+ tsp daily - 4-5x the recommended amount. Back to @Boundegar’s original post: a person can easily overindulge on oranges (or OJ) and ingest far more sugar than recommended all they while thinking they are eating healthy. Add that to all the other sugar in your diet and yes, you can get fat.

Drinking the juice may seem like a healthier option compared to say, a soft drink - but they actually have the same sugar per ounce ratio. Kids and parents are being fooled into believing that drinking OJ over a Coke is healthier when in fact they’re essentially the same in terms of sugar delivery.

Marketers promote OJ as a healthy alternative but anything more than 1 small glass per day is just contributing to the overconsumption of sugar. You’re much better off eating the orange and drinking water instead.

1 Like

Don’t know if you’ve said this, but doesn’t the orange’s fiber also slow the absorption of its sugar?

I don’t think anyone argues against that westerners eat too much sugar, but that doesn’t mean a documentary can use any kind of bullshit to prove that point. I could link to other reviews that more systematically scrutinized the movies “evidences”. Unfortunately most of them are in Swedish. My point is: before you sing hallelujah and share this movie, try and retrace his sources and see them for what they are. It is an important subject, excess amounts of sugar could possibly be bad, but we’re not gonna know for sure by asking charlatans, snake-oil merchants and exaggerators.

Yep, this is why I’ve been recommending Fed Up instead.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.