Watch: Goat and coyote play. Goat thinks coyote is its friend

Is butting things a sign of goatly affection?

6 Likes

And the people who domesticated chickens probably also invented cockfighting. Relevance? Society has progressed ethically since our Palaeolithic ancestors domesticated dogs, and many of us hold our behaviour towards animals to a higher standard than people did back in the ice ages.

Coyotes are not housepets and should not be kept as such.

5 Likes

Umm… Humanity already domesticated canines. No need to do it a 2nd time and, to quote, a platitude, those were different times.

Also, we probably domesticated wolves (if they didn’t domesticate themselves in the beginning) when we were hunter-gatherers. not agriculturists, so the living conditions were likely far more in sync with their needs, unlike taking a coyote and putting it into a house.

Even zoos, the major places where we keep undomesticated animals, are trying to give them living conditions according to their needs. And those at least have the excuse that they have an educational purpose and are actively maintaining and preserving the gene pool of endangered species.

4 Likes

Pets or meat.
Take your pick.

2 Likes

The lack of thousands of years of human selection? People generally not living like late paleolithic/early mesolithic nomads?

Having watched the video I’m more concerned about the goat though, who clearly does not want to turn their back to an apex predator.

8 Likes

Actually pigs, in houses or on farms, can be litter box trained.

4 Likes

No. That goat is agitated about the coyote; goats usually play by jumping up, playing king of the hill, etc., and this one is instead going at the couch with the headbutt it uses for defense (not sure what the tail flicking is about). For whatever reason (maybe it’s used to canines but just doesn’t like this one? or maybe its goat instincts are just reacting against a predator?), goat does not seem happy.

5 Likes

3 Likes

One man’s pet is another man’s roadkill.

Indeed!

That is one springy canine!

2 Likes

I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll trit-trot across this bridge. Goat, disguised as grandma, has trapped coyote (other wolf substitutes are available), wears it out with game of off-ground-tag. Sneaky carnivorous goats.

I dug in and found out more about this coyote. The owner is clueful.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. Goat, meet coyote, coyote, meet goat… nom, nom, nom, nom…

1 Like

Poor coyote. He needs more room to range. Also, coyotes are definitely not an animal you want around if you have kids. I heard years ago about one that attacked a toddler in California so I don’t see how anyone thinks of them as harmless. They may be small but they still will take a stab at eating you regardless.

The lion may lie down with the lamb. But don’t expect the lamb to get a good night’s sleep.

4 Likes

Wonder how many people have been injured in goat-related incidents in the same period?

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

Simpson, who has wanted to own a coyote since he was a child, caught Kate as she was wandering outside her den in the Idaho desert last May. She was about six weeks old.

If it was orphaned or in danger, okay. If not, nope, not okay at all by me.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. This article is informative, as it’s interesting that to this 21 yo, coyotes are a kind of nature-supplied livestock (like fish for fishermen).

It maybe be legal where he is but this seems immoral and to no purpose, as he’s messing with the natural wariness that serves coyotes so well: Even the suburban East-Coaster knows that if you teach a wild animal to tolerate humans, when that animal meets other humans, it’ll be killed somehow (and hopefully not hurt a person, or someone’s dog or livestock in the process). I just can’t parse whether he can’t see the cruelty, or doesn’t care? I know I “don’t understand,” but I’m guessing there are people in this kid’s community who “do understand” and who think what this kid is doing is BS that could bring them trouble.

Also, funny the goat sees a problem but the human is oblivious. But maybe the guns also serve to preserve people from their own mistakes/the mistakes of neighbors?

Thumbs up, especially b/c it reminds me of this:

I grew up in a small town in British Columbia where we were serviced for while by a travelling Vet; you’d go to the motel he stayed at and wait in one unit while he saw patients in another. My mom took our hound there for a checkup. He was a smart and capable dog, willing and able to chase a bear out of the backyard. In comes a client with a cougar on a leash; hound dog knew this wasn’t right, threw such a fit it was necessary to confine him to the bathroom (where he reduced the toilet seat to wood chips in frustration ). Anyway, some Veterinarian had the nerve to give this cat a gold tooth ( don’t think it was the travelling guy ) .

1 Like